Thread: limb poundage

Hybrid View

longcut36

Default limb poundage

i have checked martin website could not find any thing about limbs.found a lot about cams, strings and cables but no limbs. i have a cougar 2002 with 6M limbs set at 45 lbs. at this poundage the screws are backed out quite a bit. i would like to get some limbs i could max out and have about 45 to 50 lbs. would the 5 L,M, H limbs be what i need. thanks

dgmeadows

Default More info needed

What type of limbs do you currently have ? Elite (recurve), 16" straight, or 14" Magnum ? Also, is your bow the Cougar III riser or the Cougar 2000 ?

If you have a bowscale, tighten your limbs all the way down, then take a reading to see what the max is. Generally, the numbers will be 5# increments, with the letters being ~ 2# increments around those numbers - for example, if your limbs are 4M and they max at 65# on your bow, then a 5M should max at 70#, and a 5H would go about 72# (and 4L would be about 63#). Note that the numbers are NOT consistent between limb types - the Elites are different from the Magnums, which is different from the 16" straight limbs.

Note also limb pocket styles can effect the draw weight (SE pockets are the "parallel limb" pockets and use Magnum limbs, but the draw weight using a Magnum limb in an SE pocket will be different from the same Magnum limb in a standard (non-SE) pocket.

Hope this helps.

Darren

longcut36

Default limbs

i have the cougar with the 2000 riser with the 6M elite limbs recurve limbs. i have the bow on about 45# now . this makes the limbs out of the pockets quite a bit which i don't like. i guess I'm getting a bit wimpy at 70 years old.at 60 lbs i cant hold as steady as i use to. what i would like is limbs i can lock all the way down are close to it, and have around 45 to 50 lbs. thanks

dgmeadows

Default Assumptions

Well, if we assume your bow is a 45 to 60 # bow with those 6H Elite limbs, you'd need 4H Elites to max at 50#, 3H to max at 45#.

You can find replacement limbs over on ArcheryTalk.com... I have some listed for sale, but mine are 6L Elites & 5H Magnums.

Best of luck,

Darren