Thread: Hunting Rest - WB

ScrapIron

Default Hunting Rest - WB

Haven't hunted with a Whisker Bisuit yet,but i like the way it shoots,
    when i'm practicing.Want to know if you hunt with one and how do you
    like or dislike it.I shoot a Bengal,by the way!
    Ernie

Post Thanks / Like

Have a Bengal myself with a NAP 360 on it. Not bad, but right now my fav is a RipCord. My bowhunting friend has a whisker on a Bear Element and seems to like his, but I think he likes his other bow with a NAP 360 on it more.
    Ray from Auburn
    2011 Mathews Z7 w/QAD
    2011 Bear Strike Blackout w/QAD
    2011 Bowtech Assassin w/QAD
    2010 Elite Z28 w/QAD
    Carbon Express Maximas
    100gr Thunderheads
    100gr Tru-fire switchblades
    100gr Cabelas CopperHeads

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 09 Bengal and just purchased a trophy taker xtreme at sportsmans guide for about $40. I haven't even tuned it yet and wow what a difference on grouping??? The NAP 360 I recently had on it worked fine but for the same $$$$$ I'd go with this drop away!!!!!
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing wrong with any capture rest per se other than the fact that you have to be more consistent with your shot and hold the follow through better to achieve the same level of accuracy as can be had with conventional or droop away rests.

Here is where you have to define what accuracy you desire. If it's bowhunting and shots are reasonably close, like up to 30 yards then you might like a capture rest. If you desire better then some other type of rest might be a better choice.

And please, I don't want to see any comments that with a capture rest "I can shoot standing on my head". I've been shooting and bowhunting for 37 years and have never taken a shot standing on my head. This just isn't how people shoot bows.

All this being said, I would say to try a WB for maybe a month. Then try something like a prong rest or an inexpensive drop away. You have all summer to play with the idea and draw your own conclusions. Who knows. Maybe you'll be like some of us and end up with a bow for hunting and another for everything else.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

J758

Default Rest

I like fallaway with containment

Post Thanks / Like

Default just went to a QAD Hunter

I have a "09" Bengal, Was using and old fall away rest from an old martin lynx, Just bought the QAD Hunter, Love it. I get tighter groups. That older rest had some play in it and was causing me some inconsistancy. For the money (54.99) awesome.
    swish

Post Thanks / Like

People over think arrow rests.

All it needs to do is guide the arrow, without causing an inconsistent deflection that will cause the arrows to deviate from shot-to-shot. In order to guide, it has to effect the shaft. As long as it is consistent, it will also be accurate.

If you shoot with a release aid, the WB rest, will not cause any inconsistency. From my experience and observation of high-speed videos of arrows being "loosed", I see absolutely no evidence of benefit to a drop-away rest.

I have killed over 20 deer and two coyotes, using a WB rest. It is absolutely silent, reliable and accurate, for a hunting bow.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 04-21-2010 at 02:23 PM.

J758

I like the fallaway because I like go shoot with a helical was shooting with the nap 360! I think that it is harder to tweak a caputure rest with anything other than a straight fletch. I also think that there is nothing wrong with a wb. Or a dropaway I wouldn't hunt out of my stand with a target dropaway either. I like some sort of containment I that is the way to go! Because I don't shoot straight fletch. I've shot with the nap and a wb and a fallaway and I like all of them! I also think archery is very mental and it all up to what you like. So I would just try all of it to see what's best for u

Walt Hagemeister

To agree or disagree with any rest would be wrong. But the common ideal I see here I can stand behind.... Each and everyone of us has a different draw-holding style-bows-fetching-spline weight- so on and so on. In better words finding what works for you is what is best not what others may prefer and try to pressure you to get.

Finding out what works with your situation will require patience practice and like with anything $$$. I think that technique and constancy with your draw, sighting and release is more a factor than any rest out there.

I started with a 09 MOAB and now have a ShadowCat with Cat2 Cams for my long draw length that I could not get with the other. I had wb and move it to the SC and with the considerable increase of speed I am so far not getting the groups I got with the MOAB. I am going to try some drop away rests next if I cannot get the grove on with my set up now. First I am going to just work on my anchor-draw and release constancy.

Last as I stop running at the mouth.... I thought that the bow sales person/tech I was working with was knowledgeable in the archery area but I found that if you can find that one pro that really know his/her stuff and wants to take you and observe your technique etc.. and give you pointers like a golf pro... take it and learn cause you may find all the troubles you may be having with your equipment may just be the one in the mirror.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Walt. I would like to add something for some of the less experienced shooters. When looking for a good coach I would recommend looking to those who are very good at target archery or top 3D shooters. When it comes to finding that one person willing to guide you, coach you, teach you, then do as he says and don't listen to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that comes along. Especially if he is good and you have confidence in him. Most coaches won't admit, but listening to everybody after he's taken the time and effort to help is nothing short of a slap in the face. If for some reason you feel your coach is not the one you can work with then tell him so and find another, but be tactful in your dealings. And don't expect instant gratification in shooting. Good shooting takes time to learn.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver