Thread: shortening ata in an 07 Slayer EX

Myst

Default shortening ata in an 07 Slayer EX

hi all,
    after some guidance on shortening my ata in my 07 slayer. specs state should be 37 3/4, is currently measuring 38 1/4". BH is specced as 6 1/2 but is measuring 6".

I have new strings on the way (i hope!! See my previous post!), so will try and get ata to spec if i can... the slayer normally spits em out like a demon but is a bit more like a kitten at the moment!

many thanks
    Alan

Myst

ttt, i still dont know how to shorten ata and bh to spec!!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have your new string/cables?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Myst

no mate, put the old ones back on as Winners Choice are dragging their feet a little and havent heard a reply from them. I dare say the old ones have stretched a lot and problem will be fixed with new shoot string and cable, but wouldnt mind knowing how to tune to it spec if i need to

Cheers
    A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    no mate, put the old ones back on as Winners Choice are dragging their feet a little and havent heard a reply from them. I dare say the old ones have stretched a lot and problem will be fixed with new shoot string and cable, but wouldnt mind knowing how to tune to it spec if i need to

Cheers
    A
    Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to practice with the old ones. You have nothing to lose.

What you need to do is take them off and measure them and compare to what they should be. Measuring should be done while stretching them under 100# of pressure. If you can't do this then maybe twisting them till they're about 1/4" short will get you in the ballpark.

By the way, I've never done this so either somebody else will chime in or we'll work together and figure it out. Twisting the cables will bring the draw weight and ATA closer to spec and increase the draw length. Twisting the string will adjust the brace height, but lower the draw weight and shorten the draw length. Pay attention to cam orientation while doing this and try to balance the cams at the same time. You kinda have to work with both together, back and forth, to get the bow in spec. As with anything else, the first time will be time consuming and maybe frustrationg. Just stick with it and don't try to get it perfect.

Not always guaranteed, but most custom strings will not have to be twisted more than a twist or two to bring things in, usually just getting peep orientation right.

Another thing to note is that all the measurements to the bow are done with the limbs bottomed.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

It's really simple.

If you shorten both the string and the cables, by 1/2", your ATA will decrease by 1/2", and your cam timing will not change.

If you only shorten the string, your ATA will decrease, but not as much as you shortened the string. Your draw weight and length will also be reduced because you also advanced the cams!

If you only shorten the cables, your ATA will decrease, but not as much as you shortened the cables. Your draw weight and length will increase, because you also retarded the cams.

Those principles apply to all cam systems, except single cams. With single cams, you need to shorten the string twice as much as the cable. The string is divided in two as far as ATA is concerned. If you shorten the string twice as much as the cable, your cam timing will not change.

On a binary, hybrid, or dual cam bow, shortening only one of the cables will always change the cam sync.

Cam sync, is not the same thing as cam timing!

Cam sync, is the cam's position in relation to each other.

Cam timing, is the cam's position in relation to the string, at brace.

Post Thanks / Like

Know what Doc? After reading your post it got me to thinking. This is an '07 Slayer. I was thinking the bow had Nitrous cams on it (I had an '04), but this might be one of those oddballs that had an MPro cam so we have to know what cam(s) on the bow before some of my advice would hold true. For instance, the string length. You are correct that with a single cam the string is approximately twice the length as a dual cam. Therefore twice as many twists as you suggested.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Myst

Thanks guys, that gives me a good start... so far as i can tell it has the Nitrous EX cams on it, but I'll take a pic tonight and post it up.
    Many thanks again, much appreciate the advice!
    Cheers
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Thanks guys, that gives me a good start... so far as i can tell it has the Nitrous EX cams on it, but I'll take a pic tonight and post it up.
    Many thanks again, much appreciate the advice!
    Cheers
    Alan
    OK, what size Nitrous? A, B, or C? With a 6 1/2" brace t sounds like B Nitrous.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Myst

Hi mate, theres a C stamped on the cam, i might have read the stats off the martin website wrong but i think the BH was meant to be 6.5" and its at 6 at the moment. DL is 30" if that makes any difference. Sorry didnt get the chance to post a pic last night, got swamped with work and didnt get back home til 0-dark hundred...
    cheers
    A