Thread: Martin riser welded together in 2 parts?

Bowhunter_IL_BT

Default Martin riser welded together in 2 parts?

I was at an archery shop who sells mostly Mathews, Bowtech, and PSE bows. This guy was bad mouthing me about Martin bows and how he does not trust it how the riser is welded together in two parts before getting to the top limb . I can see where he might have a concern, but if it were a big problem im sure Martin would have fixed it a long time ago. I figured I would bring it to everyones' attention on here. Is it reallly a concern? Any feedback would be cool.

I told the guy that the Cheetah has the same specifications and performance as a Mathews DXT for over $500 less. Mathews have some good bows but are they really worth what people pay for them? I don't think so. So far Im really happy with the way im shooting the new 2010 Cheetah

Post Thanks / Like

Guess you just explained how good your bow technician is with his knowledge. The riser is not two pieces welded together. It is three pieces and each is pinned and bolted. One is located right at the top of the wight window. The other is behind the rubber pad at the shelf.

Martin has been making risers like this for several years and to date have had virtually no problems with them. One thing you have to know is that the most prevalent reason a shop would say something like this is because they make more profit from some of those higher priced bows.

One of the reasons for making risers like this is that a three smaller pieces of aluminum stock can be used to make each piece. Highly reflexed risers such as most bows today have requires a pretty massive chunk of aluminum that has to be machined, thus more wasted material. This is part of the cost that has to be passed on to the consumer. You already stated the result---sometimes as much as $500 more for a bow that performs no better than a Martin.

Don't let somebody else do your homework for you. Shoot as many different brands as you can and make up your own mind. Try doing a search on Archery Talk and one thing you won't find much of is talk about riser problems with Martin bows. As with any of the brands that is the least of their problems.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Bowhunter_IL_BT

Default Martin risers

Hey bfisher thanks for the heads up about everything. I never realized about putting those parts together to cut costs. Actually that guy was not the pro shop dealer. He was just another customer. I figured and never heard of Martin having troubles with their risers. I have a Bowtech Equalizer and it shoots well. Im actually shooting even better with the Cheetah and like the thermal grip better. Im thinking of selling my Bowtech too cause I won't need two bows. I have to shoot to the max around 70 lbs to equal the performance as the Bowtech but Im plenty strong enough. Bottom line is I feel more comfortable with the Cheetah and I would have never believed I could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up new bow stage 2

go bow hunter go dude glad u came on board, all said and done i dont think u can get a better bow for the buck than a martin , mine has one me over and over and it just gets better all the time !

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto Bowhunter IL welcome to the club!!! Glad to see more IL peeps joining the happy Martin Bowhunters ....
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a test report from Arrow Tarade Magazine I had bookmarked when I was first looking at getting my Bengal.........first page describes the riser which applies to the Cheetah as well.
    http://arrowtrademagazine.com/articl...rtinBengal.pdf
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    Here's a test report from Arrow Tarade Magazine I had bookmarked when I was first looking at getting my Bengal.........first page describes the riser which applies to the Cheetah as well.
    http://arrowtrademagazine.com/articl...rtinBengal.pdf
    This is about the best explaination I can think of. Seems to be a pretty objective report as well.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver