Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow rest choices

AlienX

Default arrow rest choices

I am trying to quiet down my bow and have found that my ultra rest is my biggest noise maker. What are the rests of choice in the martain form world?

Anouthe question for the Alien X shooters, on the riser just below the ccs most have a rubber inserted in the hole there. Mine does not will that help quiet down the bow? Should it be there?
    Last edited by AlienX; 05-25-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That little rubber insert isn't going to make enough noticable difference, but if you think you want one just call customer service and they'll probably send you one.

As far as rests go if you want "quiet" then you need to get a rest without moving parts. Of course that means probably "NOT" a drop away. I guess it depends on what you are using the bow for, but I've tried a ton of droppers and still have one on one of my bows, but I don't use one on a hunting setup.

For a 3D or target setup I don't think you can beat a blade or lizard tinguw style rest. There's just nothing that can go wrong with them. That may be why they are the overwhelming choice among more knowledgeable, less faddish shooters. Those who prefer simplicity and total reliability.

I don't think there is any type of rest that is a perfect choice for everything, but I like a blade for 3D/target and something like a prong or even a Star Hunter on a hunting bow. Heck, even a Whisker Bisquit for hunting if you have good follow through. I don't shoot high profile vanes like Blazers and have never had an issue with fletching clearance. I have never shot a bow standing on my head so this fad about arrow containment has never sparked any interest for me.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

AlienX

I am also shooting Flu Flu arrows for small game so clearence is an issue with most 3d rests. For those who are not clear about a flu flu arrow it has 6 vanes with a diameter of 3" good for shooting squirrles in trees birds etc. Go like heck for 30 yards or so then fall off hard, you lose less that way
    I would like a rest that works well for both 3d and hunting

Destroyer

I'm using a Trophy Taker Shakey and is very quiet and easy to tune. One thing you could try with your Qad is to raise it (and nocking point of course) so it doesn't contact with the shelf at all. Check to see if the cable clamp hits anything also.

AlienX

Thank you Destroyer. My clearences are all goodand the clamp is clearing all obsticals.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the G5 expert very quiet and simple to set up. I also use the NAP Quiktune 360 which is also very quiet, but I recommend using it with the new brushes and also get your nocks twisted correctly so that no vanes come into contact with the brushes. If your bow is correctly tuned, the 360 is a very good hunting rest, I much prefer it to a buscuit.

AlienX

Is the g5 like a biscut to? i cant use a biscut style restwith the arrows i shoot. too hard on the fletching
    Last edited by AlienX; 05-25-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, the G5 Expert is a drop away.

AlienX

Thanks I'll have a look at that one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    I find the G5 expert very quiet and simple to set up. I also use the NAP Quiktune 360 which is also very quiet, but I recommend using it with the new brushes and also get your nocks twisted correctly so that no vanes come into contact with the brushes. If your bow is correctly tuned, the 360 is a very good hunting rest, I much prefer it to a buscuit.
    I got lucky enought to go to the ATA show this last jan, i was at martins range shooting their newest bows and noticed they all had nap 360's on them, at least the ones i shot. i loved that rest so much i came home and had them on all my bows by march. i shot a archery course today at my club and im still very happy i replaced my QAD and Octane with the nap 360. try it. i ordered 4 sets of new brushes and the plastic bottom rest for like 20 bucks total. im set for a long time for rest now.
    Last edited by ezbite; 05-25-2010 at 09:31 PM.