Thread: 2010 Pantera String Fraying at Idler Wheel

guntercb

Default 2010 Pantera String Fraying at Idler Wheel

Hello,

I have a 2010 Pantera and it appears that the string is "flattened" out going around the idler and some threads appear to be broken and the string has a frayed looking appearance. I have probably shot 150 arrows from the bow. Is this fraying normal? Is it safe to continue shooting? Should I check something on the bow? What should I do? The shop I bought the bow from is not helping me so I am on my own and any help is greatly appreciated.

If I need to replace the string (stinks for such a new bow), should I go ahead and serve the string going around the wheel?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by guntercb; 05-27-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem with a Moab and a Cheetah. I solved it by firstly smoothing down the edges of the idler wheel with fine emery paper and steel wool, then i served the section of the string that travelled over the idler wheel.

Some will say that the reason the string is not served in the first place, is that serving it will reduce the speed of the bow. i found no reduction in speed at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    I had this problem with a Moab and a Cheetah. I solved it by firstly smoothing down the edges of the idler wheel with fine emery paper and steel wool, then i served the section of the string that travelled over the idler wheel.

Some will say that the reason the string is not served in the first place, is that serving it will reduce the speed of the bow. i found no reduction in speed at all.
    You're right Gibby. Serving in this area of the string has virtually no effect on speed.

To the OP, if your string is frayed that bad and/or has any broken strands then I would replace the string. Do as Gibson said and do your best to smooth out and rough spots in the idler first. Then contact customer service at 1-800-541-8902 and explain the situation and newness of the bow. They might send you new rigging. If they do then serve the area that rolls over the idler wheel. Wouldn't hurt to mention that your dealer is hanging you out to dry, too. Companies like to know who is or is not taking care of their customers.

If you have to buy your own then get strings from a company like Vapor Trail or H&M, just to name two. Request serving over the idler wheel area. They have the info and know where to put it, but talking to a person can go a long way to negating any confusion.

When you install the new rigging be sure and check for and correct any "cam lean" at the idler wheel. If you need help with this then come on back and we'll walk you through it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

guntercb

gibson 787 - Thanks for the update on your two bows. I wish that Martin served this wheel area in the first place. I was looking at other bows today and it appears most serve this area. Really, I think Martin is the only one that I see in catalogs that does not.

Bfisher - I will try calling Martin. I sure hope they replace the string for me. I would be very impressed. I guess I will see what they say. I was disappointed with my pick of bow dealers and you are right it does not help a company (Martin) to have its products sold from dealers that don't seem to help you much. If I had known I would have bought from another bow shop and that would not have resulted in a sell for Martin. Except for a few areas like the idler wheel not having serving and slight lean of my idler wheel, I have been very impressed with my bow. It shots so nice and it is silky smooth to draw back. If I end up buying a string from another company would they have information on how to serve for the CSS system? Would you recommend that I get serving in this area too? It seems like a weak link also. I have half been tempted to sell the bow and buy something else because of this issue, but kind of radical if it just needs a new string and some extra serving. Thanks for your help and time. Glad I did not sell the bow.

Cheers,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend serving where the cable/string roll in the CCS. I had a 2009 Moab and although the only negatives I encountered was yellow dye on the CCS rollers I still went ahead and served that area and over the idler also. As you are saying, it just seems like a weak link.

If by chance you get a set of custom strings the maker should have all the measurements as to where to serve and such, but it still would be prudent to have this information when you talk to him/her.

A lot of people who bowhunt and shoot just for fun have no idea what a good set of strings can do for a bow. The main thing is that once the bow is tuned it will rarely change for nearly the lifetime of the strings. That and the ability to use a tubeless peep, which makes the bow more quiet The degradation of the tune is paramount, though. Inferior, and that usually means "factory" strings will creep (stretch) over time. The draw length gets longer and usually the draw weight goes up and the bow just doesn't shoot as well. Most shooters can't tell this is happening and start second guessing their shooting form and ability to shoot when it's the bow that's at fault. Makes for some frustrating shooting.

Even for those who understand what's going on it gets to be a pain tweaking the bow every couple months. This usually entails twisting the string/cable to get the bow back into specs and then slightly retuning. A lot of us just bite the bullet and get good strings right from the git-go. Depending on who you choose good strings cost anywhere from $50 (H&M) to over $100 (Winner's Choice) a set. And that extra $50 or so does not buy you twice the quality. One brand of string that I would not recommend is Zebra. They are sold by a lot of shops, but really are no better than what's on your bow now.

Be forewarned that if you have any problems with serving wear or fraying a good set of strings won't cure this. It's best to serve your old ones and then do what tweaking is necessary to alleviate these problems first.

OK, I've said enough for now. Sorry if I get long winded, but I like to go into details so you can make good decisions.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

guntercb

Bfisher,

I just contacted Martin. I will let you know what they say about my strings too. I just hope I can get my bow string issue fixed soon.

Thanks for all your help. If I over make it to PA, I need to buy you lunch.

Cheers,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guntercb View Post
    Bfisher,

I just contacted Martin. I will let you know what they say about my strings too. I just hope I can get my bow string issue fixed soon.

Thanks for all your help. If I over make it to PA, I need to buy you lunch.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Just a Yengling Lager will do just as well, along with a good BS session. Don''t forget to bring the archery gear.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

guntercb

Bfisher,

We have a Yengling brewery here. Great choice!!!

If I make it to PA, I will be sure to bring the beer and archery gear. Hopefully with a new string on the bow!

Happy shooting!

Thanks,
    Chris