Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the right beginner bow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Sounds like my kind of country
    Believe me, it's not......... The fun ends too soon. The owner of the site which published this information was beaten with sledgehammers and now he is in a wheelchair, of course noone is arrested.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlleInsGold View Post
    ok, thx @ all:

I resume:

I should take a bow with 50lbs an ask my seller to turn the weight down to 35lbs. (Why can't I do that on myself?)

And I should choose a bow with duo cams (But I don't understand why...)

Is there one model of matin exspecialy known for beginner? Some friendly (and very patient) guy give me the advice to take a bow with a axle length over 34'')
    1. You can do it yourself - just need an Allen wrench - 5 full turns of the limb bolts will give you the 15# less. You must make one turn on each bolt one after another (hope i use the correct English in this sentence )
    2. I'd recommend NOT to take a duo cam bow, because it's harder for begginers. The only advantage you can have with it is the faster speed with the lower poundage.
    3. It'll be very hard to find a modern compound bow for begginers with longer axle-to-axle. Martin don't have one. Their long A2A bows are expensive and i think are better for experienced archers. 2 years ago when i've started compound bow shooting i took first a cheap Perfect Line bow with 41 inches A2A to get used to this type of bows (i still shoot it with fingers only) and then bought my MOAB which i believe is perfect for begginers (but not absolute )
    Last edited by alex; 06-02-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    The owner of the site which published this information was beaten with sledgehammers and now he is in a wheelchair, of course no
    one is arrested.
    That's terrible! Thought you were just being funny. Not my sort of country

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by AlleInsGold View Post
    Some friendly (and very patient) guy give me the advice to take a bow with a axle length over 34'')
    Depends on you draw length. It has been said that you are better off going for at least 33" ATA on a bow if your draw length is over 28". Short bows with long draw lengths can have acute string angles at the nock which can make shooting a bit harder, a bit more critical on form & tune.

My recommendation is to choose a bow by letting your budget decide it for you. Factor in the total cost including accessories and see what you can afford.

And I would get the harder cams too. The reason? Speed. Alex is right that a beginner will have a harder time but you will get use to them (eventually), especially at 35lbs. At 70lbs........it would be a bad idea

Post Thanks / Like

1. You can do it yourself - just need an Allen wrench - 5 full turns of the limb bolts will give you the 15# less. You must make one turn on each bolt one after another (hope i use the correct English in this sentence )
    2. I'd recommend NOT to take a duo cam bow, because it's harder for begginers. The only advantage you can have with it is the faster speed with the lower poundage.
    3. It'll be very hard to find a modern compound bow for begginers with longer axle-to-axle. Martin don't have one. Their long A2A bows are expensive and i think are better for experienced archers. 2 years ago when i've started compound bow shooting i took first a cheap Perfect Line bow with 41 inches A2A to get used to this type of bows (i still shoot it with fingers only) and then bought my MOAB which i believe is perfect for begginers (but not absolute )
    1. I recommend to lt your shop do this so he can show you what to do and explain it to you. He will make this for free so why do not use the service when buying a bow?

2. I agree with Alex here. You do not need a Hybrid Cam bow. The Cams are much harder to draw and need some extra time to get set up once you change something. I know that you want to bowhunt in the far future but you will need a new bow then. It is much more important to get a proper shooting form at your stage of archery instead of getting the most speed out of a bow.

3. That is right. There is no long ATA bow from Martin within your price range. I just checked the lineup of the german pro shop that you have visited several times. You can get a Bengal in camo for approx. 380. In my opinion this is the only bow within your limits that has a decent ATA and good Quality. I owned one some two years ago and liked it.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

duffy

moab is a very good bow, very forgiving for a beginer, i mentioned the duo cams of the speed factor once wound up to 50lbs wouldnt need to buy a 60lb bow, dont think martin make the moab, you may see it 2nd hand but i dint when looking for my first compound, heard that the tr1 is a direct replacement!! good luck finding your bow

Post Thanks / Like

The TR1 exceeds his budget. Beside the Bengal/Cheetah/Leopard all of the Martin bows cost around 550 - 560. In this case i would give the advice to buy a Warthog as it has a good ATA. Nonetheless, that is all to expensive.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Destroyer

Is eBay a decent choice there? Sounds pretty expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

No.

And bows are quite expensive here, that is right. They cost the same as in the US. But with a instead of a $..
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL