Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: release by fingers possible?

AlleInsGold

Default release by fingers possible?

Hi,

yesterday I talk to a guy how shot a compound without a release.

Is it possible to shot a martin with draw lenght of 29'' with fingers?

Cheers

Dick

Dave308

Oh yeah, I know a few people that shoot compounds with fingers. Just get yourself a good glove.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot a Firecat at29.5 with fingers at 65 let off shoots great but i only use 45lb draw wt getting older lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, anything is possible, but if shooting fingers I'd prefer a longer A2A bow just to alleviate finger pinch and get a cleaner release. What I have seen some do with shorter bows is draw with the conventional three fingers and after anchoring drop the top finger out and release with a two-finger under configuration.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Like Barry said axle to axle length is important. I cant shoot anything under 40" ATA with my 30" draw without resorting to funny releases. I like 44" ATA +.

A few points to think about:

1. Most finger shooters need a smooth draw to be accurate. Hard cams can be very difficult to draw with fingers. Soft cams are better imho.

2. It takes a lot more practice to achieve good form. I had to shoot at least 5 nights a week and a lot of shots to maintain good form. If I took 2 days off in a row my accuracy suffered.

3. Target panic can be more of a problem using fingers.

4. Release aids were invented for a reason.

5. Some ppl can shoot well using finger release but most wont!

But yes it is possible.

pitbull

Everything is possible but take a longer bow, I agree with bfisher.

Post Thanks / Like

i also shoot the scepter 4 bare bow shoots great for finger shooting also works great with sight shoot them both ways i have two one shoot thru and one cable guard large cams very smooth draw

Post Thanks / Like

I spent the last 30+yrs shooting compounds with fingers using a 3 finger deer hide glove (wheels & cams @ 29" DL). First time I used a release was just last September when I bought my 2009 Bengal.

Until my Bengal, I typically bought bows over 40" ATA, preferring 42-46". One I still have, and shoot fingers with, is a 1996 Martin Firecat XRG w/Ultra Sonic wheels (more of a large mild cam), 43" ATA......but have to admit, I've all but retired that bow now and shooting the short Bengal w/release 99% of the time.

In the current line of Martin bows, I think the Shadowcat is the I would use for a finger bow.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

I see a couple of people mentioned using a glove for finger shooting. I like a tab much better. It gives a cleaner release and a better feel on the string.

Like has already been mentioned, a longer A2A is better. Just how long you need will depend on your draw length and the size of your hand. I like at least 40" A2A and can shoot well down to 36 - 38". I have a small hand and a 28" draw so I don't get finger pinch as badly as those with larger hands.

So, Yes you can shoot a compound with fingers. And yes it does take practice and diligence to be proficient, but then so does shooting with a release. Remember - voluntarily handicapping yourself in choice of equipment is not an excuse for bad shooting! I shoot a release well, but prefer fingers. I've won 2 national championships and 5 state championships, all with fingers. In one state shoot I tied the open division winner with my finger score. I can be done.

mike
    Last edited by DeepRiverBowman; 06-02-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    but have to admit, I've all but retired that bow now and shooting the short Bengal w/release 99% of the time.
    Same here!

After reading this tread I pulled out me old bear to have a bit of a fling with fingers. Kinda fun but the result.............not so good. Even this old bow shoots ok with a release aid.

I hate to admit it though but I was one of those ppl who would criticize release aid shooters a few years back. Use to say it was cheating, too easy, not archery, blah blah blah, lol! The only true archery is traditional blah blah blah. Stupid really.

How times change.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepRiverBowman View Post
    voluntarily handicapping yourself in choice of equipment is not an excuse for bad shooting!
    Great point Mike!
    Last edited by Destroyer; 06-02-2010 at 08:28 PM.