Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: release by fingers possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    ........I hate to admit it though but I was one of those ppl who would criticize release aid shooters........
    For a while there, I found myself being the criticized many times for being a finger shooter. Remember getting a comment once saying " a release aid is more accurate, so it's more ethical to use.......don't you care about the animal you shoot? " (apparently didn't matter at the time that I could out shoot that "release aid" shooter making the statement)
    That led to a discussion of how he should store his bow (more like where ), and think about taking up hunting with a rifle.......but I won't get into that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepRiverBowman View Post
    I see a couple of people mentioned using a glove for finger shooting. I like a tab much better. It gives a cleaner release and a better feel on the string......
    I used a tab (various tabs) for a few years, especially indoor ranges. It was a clean release, but I never liked the feel out hunting.
    Most early (cheap) gloves I tried weren't that great, but then started using the full finger deer hide / leather gloves and really liked the fit/feel. For me, accuracy was every bit as consistent as I got w/tabs so stuck w/them. Just so happens, the gloves I have now are Martin gloves.

Funny...not 2 minutes after my earlier post, a coworker came in and he told me he had just switched to fingers (w/tab) with his compound to try for a while in 3D shoots.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    " a release aid is more accurate, so it's more ethical to use"
    A release is more ethical if he is a good shot with it and a bad shot with fingers.

don't you care about the animal you shoot?
    Ethics has nothing to do with the animal we hunt. Ethics is how we judge our own actions based on our own sense of whats right and wrong. If we really cared a lot about the animal, we probably wouldn't shoot it at all. Ethics isn't about the equipment choice we make either. Its all about us. And it usually is a "my ethics are better than yours" kind of argument. No one wins

That led to a discussion of how he should store his bow (more like where)
    lol! Just remember you can have just as much fun with the 'how' as the 'where'.