Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is a Thermal II grip suppose to last?

Destroyer

Unhappy How long is a Thermal II grip suppose to last?

I guess I have only put about 500 shots through my Pantera and 'holes' have already appeared on the front side of the grip. How long are they suppose to last? More than this I hope!

tood s

i have never heard of that happening.... are you gripping the bow that tight? does your bow have a wrist sling? You need to shoot with your bow hand either open or lightly grab the grip..

Post Thanks / Like

i installed one on my alien and ive got over 500 shots on it, looks as good as when i installed it. you either got a bad one or your squeezing the crap outta that thing.lol. it should be lasting much longer than 500 shots

Post Thanks / Like

Usually when Martin screws up and send me a bow with the Thermal II grip it only lasts about a week. Just long enough for me to order and install the Thermal Elite grip. I don't like rubber grips.

Probably the holes you are seeing is where the ends meet and it is glued. They are kind of like a dovetail. If it cpncerns you that much then a trip back to the dealer should suffice. He could make the call to Martin and get you a new one.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

This is most unusual, can you post a pic?

Destroyer

This is the best I can do atm Dave. Looks like the holes are coming from the perforations (lack of a accurate word) on the other side. Maybe it was glued to tightly putting to much pressure on them? Don't know.

As you can tell, the front (and back - not shown) of the grip is no longer on the bow. I carefully trimmed leaving only the normal grip like piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ezbite View Post
    you either got a bad one or your squeezing the crap outta that thing.lol
    Don't think I'm squeezing it that bad. Maybe I'm stronger than I think!

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Usually when Martin screws up and send me a bow with the Thermal II grip it only lasts about a week.
    Won't be getting another then. Might have a go at making some wood grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Why not try the simple zebra wood sideplates? I think there is no better grip to avoid torque.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

This is the best I can do atm Dave.

Not good, think Montalaar is right, wooden sideplates would be the go and if you can make them, all the better.

I've only had the thermal V grips and they feel as strong as truck tyres. I like them tho, specially on cold days. Recently fitted one to my Alien courtesy of Spiker, love it.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    Not good, think Montalaar is right, wooden sideplates would be the go and if you can make them, all the better.
    Agree. Going to have a go at making some if I can find some good looking timber. My mother has a nice looking book case........hmmmm

The martin zebra wood side plates would be nice (and easy) but I'm afraid to ask my 'local' dealers for price/availability. I have hard enough time tracking down a alloy mod. Our friends in SA stated you can't get them here in OZ. I'm trying to get one from AA, its a slow and painful process though.

I tried Martins online shop but they wanted USD $33 just for post!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...

For 30$ you might get some plates in germany. Postage fee included.
    At least the fee calculator gave out 6 for a small packet to Australia.. :P
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL