Thread: arrows for firecat pro-x and what size fletches for bowhunter?

duffy

Default arrows for firecat pro-x and what size fletches for bowhunter?

sorry if this has been done before.

i shoot the firecat pro-x. 45-60lb dl 27in, currently set 52lb. shooting bowhunter.

i am using easton powerflight 500spine (checked the weight gpi and friend at club said the spine is weak but the arrow is plenty heavy enough) i am also using gold tip expedition hunters 3555 28.5in 100gn point, again they are heavy enough, will they be when i wind the bow up to 60lb?

should i go up to the 5575 arrows as they will be more durable but heavier will they fly as well or should i stick to the 3555?

also as i release on the fingers it has been recommended to me that i use 4 inch fletches rather than 3inch, is this correct, i thought 3in would help me with the longer distance (i am fairly new to compounds and their is so much to learn)

any help would be appreciated.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by duffy View Post
    also as i release on the fingers it has been recommended to me that i use 4 inch fletches rather than 3inch, is this correct
    For hunting use 5" for finger shooting. More stable with fingers. Release aid users can get away with 4". I would still use 5" for target but some might disagree.

SonnyThomas

Default arrows for firecat pro-x and what size fletches for bowhunter?

By Easton's chart you are on the weak side as is. 60 would weaken the spine more. Yes, 5575 would be a better choice.
    If by what you have here, I take it you're shooting 3D, not hunting. Normally, I would say 4" over 3", but 3D is a different game. I would suggest 3 degree of offset for the 3" vane.
    If looking for speed/flatter for distance I'd go with any of the 2" type vanes like Bohning Blazers or X2s, NAP Twisters, VaneTec HPs, and Norway Fusions (a bit heavy) or their Predators (lighter).
    For hunting, remove X2s from the list.

Destroyer

I wouldn't use Blazers for finger shooting especially hunting. With your typical finger rests you'll have clearance issues. Plus blazers won't stabilize a broadhead as well as 5" vanes. If you use a lower profile vane like AAE Elite 5" you wont loose much speed at all. They weigh only 8 grains, blazers weigh 6 grains. Maybe 1 fps difference.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 06-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.