Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Razor X Hybrid ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Razor X Hybrid ?

I would like some thoughts on using the CAT 1.5 cams on a Razor X. The current bow is 60 # @ 30" with shoot through Nitrous cams. I'm hoping to smooth this animal out a bit as currently it just isn't much fun to shoot.

Thanks

sawdust2

Post Thanks / Like

More ore less impossible.

Why?
    Because you need the new reinforced limbs. As the Razor-X has the old style limb pocket you will need the squared limbs with reinforced tips. Those were only produced for one year. As we see with the Scepter the CAT-Cam can be used with the old limb angle but i cannot advice that as it is hard to time and use.

Furthermore the CAT-Cam might make your bow even harder to shoot. The CAT-Cam has a much more harsher draw than the NOS-Cams. Maybe you should think about tuning your current setup instead? How can a NOS-Cam be a Monster?
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Thanks for the reply.

The bow actually belongs to my son who is an experienced shooter. The initial shooting we did with the bow just turned us off to the point that we haven't worked with it much, several other bows to tinker with. However the bow is just to pretty to disregard and our first thought was to change the cams. So, thanks to your reply I think we will make it a tuning and taming project without a cam change. If you have any tricks along this line we would be willing to try them.

Thanks

sawdust2

Post Thanks / Like

I owned 2 of them myself but i never had problems with them.
    What Camsize is installed?

Post Thanks / Like

I shot the Nitrous X cams for a couple years and thought they were fairly smooth. They don't have that abrupt letoff like the Cat cams or many other 80% cams.

My suggestion would be that if it's tough at 60# then drop it back to 55# or so and shoot a comparably lighter arrow. The Nitrous is still one of the best cams Martin ever developed, IMO. You just have to get used to it.

Your only other cost effective change would be to go with the Accu-track cam and make it a single cam bow, but this isn't cheap either and I have no idea what length string/cable you'd need.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cams

I don't have the bow right here but believe the cams are the M79E-A cam as 30" is the max draw length. Our main objection to the bow is the hand shock. We are use to bows that don't have much going on after the shot, 06 Diamond Liberty, 06 Bowtech Constitution, 09 Bowtech Brigadier, 08 PSE Moneymaker and a 09 Martin Scepter 4. Compared to these bows the Razor X is violent.

Again, its a beautiful bow and we just want to get it under control.

Thanks

sawdust2

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that you can work that out.

From my own experience i can say that the Razor-X with a Nitrous-Cam has not more handshock than a Hoyt or Mathews or any PSE. It is all about tuning and timing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Simon. I do know that cam sync can be very critical with any dual cam bow, especially so with speed cams. Make sure you get the cams hitting the flat part of the module at exactly the same time. Depending on how tight your cables are twisted as little as 1/2 twist can make a world of difference. Don't give up on it. Just work with it a bit.

I'm also assuming that the bow has Elite limbs on it based on your explanation of "A" cams and a 30" draw. In this case it's going to have a more conventional limb angle instead of parallel limbs. That being said the bow is not going to be as shock free as these newer bows and will tend to jump forward some at the shot, quite typical for this type of bow. This is where a good stabilizer and some added mass weight enter the picture to tame things down.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust2 View Post
    I would like some thoughts on using the CAT 1.5 cams on a Razor X. The current bow is 60 # @ 30" with shoot through Nitrous cams. I'm hoping to smooth this animal out a bit as currently it just isn't much fun to shoot.

Thanks

sawdust2
    Its doable and it would work out great. I have the S4 with the 1.5 cats and it is absolutly a pleasure to shoot...more so than the ShadowCat IMO. Just so you know it comes standard without the reinforced limbs and mine for some reason has no cam lean. Not to say reinforced limbs wouldn't give it that extra strength at the tips...but not absolutly necisary. All you need to do is make your strings longer by the difference in length between the S4 riser and the Razor X riser since i believe limb pocket angle should be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

The thought that Scepterman is always there watchfull in the shadows, reading and thinking, waiting to be summoned is a little frightening. I must think twice before write something dumb here.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows