Thread: Timing Equals Quietness??

UKFAN

Default Timing Equals Quietness??

I shoot the Alien X 70lb Limbs. I was researching noise issues and decided to check the timing again. I found the timing to be slightly off and wow what a difference it made in reducing noise. I shot it right next to a top of line Darton and my Alien was just as quiet. I have no limb dampners, no string silencers, and only a STAB to help reduce shock/noise.

I am pulling 28" draw with release, I am shooting 63lbs draw and before the timing change was hitting 294 with 354gr arrow. After the change we chronographed again at 309/310 FPS...

QUESTION: Why such a huge change in speed when the timing was only very slightly off? Also, how does improper timing create noise?

Thanks,

Clint

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! that's a huge difference with both speed and noise for such a minor adjustment.

Will be waiting with baited breath on answers from the experts on this one.

If it's no trouble, would love to see pics of cam possies.

SonnyThomas

Default Timing Equals Quietness??

No expert here, but have played with the FireCat, Slayer and Shadowcat, all with the CatCams. (I work at a archery shop only) Martin probably has one of the most informitive bow manuals going, pics and all. When timing and draw stop is set per instructions things do improve. I was surprised that so many people don't fully understand the draw stop and I was just recently advised how get more use out of it. Martin's instructions and pics of how the cams are to be is nearly a perfect match of javi's draw stop procedure for Hoyt's cam & 1/2.

Once the above bows were tuned to Martin's manual they behaved outstandingly. Quiet, recoil minimal, and excellent accuracy. The FireCat that came in shot like holding a 2 gallon bucket of half full water, bow arm floundering around and shaking everything on the bow. Accuracy was poor at best. The draw stop was set so that letting down was a accident waiting to happen - it was set so letoff was near nothing when the owner had the draw weight down to 45 pounds. All set correctly the bow has all but target bow accuracy - the bow is just to short ata for me to acknowledge it a target bow. If it was camo instead of dark blue, it's be a great little hunting bow.

The Slayer nearly tore my arm off when trying to draw it. The draw stop was set so there was no valley. You hit the wall and it was either hold it there or you were going forward no matter what (Told Boss we need a draw board). Mods adjusted for draw length, a couple of twists to get the string to lay flat in the groove of the top cam and draw stop set the bow became pure poison on indoor 5 spots and in 3D. Draw weight turned down and use of a heavier than normal arrow tames the Slayer to get down to the ASA speed limit. The owner tied me for 2nd place in a 5 week 5 Spot event held at the shop.

The Shadowcat is a loaner (Shadowcat/letoff by me, this forum). One of the first production bows to get out it has problems, but setup properly and with the aid of a couple members here it shames my Hoyt ProElite for both quietness and command accuracy on indoor spots. Not only this, but the Shadowcat matches my ProElite for velocity (same arrow) with draw weight 6 pounds lighter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This Sounds Like...

Something that I need to be looking at on the Razor X that I have posted about. Was there any mention in the manual about the Nitrous cams ? Well, anyway this is great info and we will see if it will help our bow.

Thanks

sawdust2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UKFAN View Post
    ..I am pulling 28" draw with release, I am shooting 63lbs draw and before the timing change was hitting 294 with 354gr arrow. After the change we chronographed again at 309/310 FPS...

QUESTION: Why such a huge change in speed when the timing was only very slightly off?
    Re-check your BH, DL and DW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust2 View Post
    Something that I need to be looking at on the Razor X that I have posted about. Was there any mention in the manual about the Nitrous cams ? Well, anyway this is great info and we will see if it will help our bow.

Thanks

sawdust2
    If you do not have the manual you can download it here. The manual explains how to setup the cams and how to change timing. Pretty good explanation if you ask me.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010