Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 to 2010 limb conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2009 to 2010 limb conversion

Back in January I purchased an 09 Warthog on AT. A month later the top limb cracked at the fork. I bought replacement limbs from my dealer in Australia and all was well.

I didn't shoot the Hog much as i was having a good time with my Alien. (bow that is). Any way, I thought as it was just sitting there gathering dust, I may as well sell it. I took it out of it's case and decided to have a few shots for old times sake. Well, it was like love the second time around, this bow felt and shot out of this world! So,the decision to sell her was immediately brushed and for the past few weeks she's rarely been out of my hands. But alas all good things come to an end. Yesterday at full draw, I heard the dreaded click. I let down and sure enough, exactly in the same spot as the first time ( top limb in the fork) was a virtical split. Crappos!!!

I thought if I simply replace the limbs once again, it will just be another case of 'Ground Hog Day'. I've read several posts here and on AT re changing to the 2010 limbs, one specifically by Barry. I firmly believe the problem, which appears to be a common one has probably been solved by Martin changing over to slimmer limbs (2010 models) which I feel would reduce the amount of twist on the limbs.

As I understant it, I will need the new limbs, the roto cups and axle kits. Importantly, the cams I have are Cat2, are these OK to complete the conversion, or am I up for new cams? I have emailed Martin, but it usually takes a while to get an answer.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Not 100% sure but I do believe you will need the new cams also.
    The '10 ones with the sholdered bearings are a better set-up anyway as far as cam lean because they eliminate the plastic spacers.
    p.s. Hows my team doing?
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott. I was kind of under the impression that because the cams were Cat 2s and not Cats, that it would be OK, but maybe not. I guess if I had to get new cams, I would just can the exercise and get a 2010 Hog.

As a matter of fact I watched your team perform last night. Playing really well, they beat the Carlton Blues by a narrow margin. I think they're currently running second or third.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'll have to wait for Martin to get back to me.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    I heard the dreaded click. I let down and sure enough, exactly in the same spot as the first time ( top limb in the fork) was a virtical split.
    Just happened to my bow TODAY!!! Exactly the same thing and with M-Pro's not cats? Too much of this happening.

I'm tossing up whether to get some Barnsdales or just trash it. I won't be buying martin limbs again that's for sure. Might not be buying Martin again either. This sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sucks for sure. I think the problem might not just be the limbs, where it happens indicates it's very likely a problem with the bow causing the limb to twist. I think that's the main reason they now use slimmer limbs. Mechanically, a slimmer limb will result in less twist. So buying Barnsdales may not solve the problem.

That's the reason I want to make the 09/10 conversion. I'm just waiting for someone on here to give me a definite answer as to wheather my Cat 2 cams are suitable for the conversion or not. Martin havn't got back to me yet, but that's not unusual!

Destroyer, I understand your frustration. Wouldn't it be great if we had a bunch of top line bow makers in our part of the world, things would be a lot easier, but I guess we don't have the population to make it financially viable. Archery is still a pretty minor industry, even in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a sidenote:
    Even a quite good bowmaker would not solve the problems.

There is a great company in germany that produces high quality bows. They are even tougher than the high-end bows made in the US and absolutely up to date. Next year they will introduce their own carbon bow and so on.

Problem:
    The bows are quite pricy and hard to get at all..

I know how you are feelign destroyer.
    I read about ShadowCat limbs breaking the other day and talked to a friend of mien about it. 10 minutes later my second set broke.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Problem:
    The bows are quite pricy and hard to get at all..

Yes, I think the problem stems from bow makers pushing things to the limit in order to gain FPS, all in a market that is quite limited and with probably too much competition.

Martins problem is further compounded because their niche is 'low cost plus good quality'. Wasn't a problem before this need for speed became a big issue.

However, with reference to the above quote, I certainly wouldn't mind waiting for and paying more for a quality bow that I had complete confidence in, as the wasted time and frustration caused by these problems, more than negates the extra cash outlay.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my friends, if you haven't noticed it, the time when you can buy something which can work well and last lifetime and then can be inherited by the next generation is over. The principle now is: buy-break-buy again...and again and again. Don't know what's the situation in the States, but here you can't find a good tool even if you're ready to pay extra . Everything is made in China and even the things which are not aren't better.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Alex, I know exactly what you are saying and it has a lot to do with GREED, GREED and more GREED that the western world has created and now the eastern world is taking advantage of the massive wage imbalances by manufacturing at a fraction of the cost. I wonder how long it will be before China starts making archery equipment?

All that said, I don't think the cracked limb problem relates to the above, more likely SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED!!!!