Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 to 2010 limb conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyer, did you read my post re the new 2010 limbs having the cross fibre laminations, maybe that's how all Barnsdales are made. If so, you might be OK with them. I'm still going with the complete 09/10 conversion on the Hog.

I'm pretty sure I havn't read about any Martin/Rytera 2010 limb failures??

Can't agree with you on Martin the company, I've read countless times about limb failures with all the top brands, so they're not Robinson Cruso there.

Have you ordered your new limbs from Barnsdales yet?

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    Have you ordered your new limbs from Barnsdales yet?
    Nope. Contacted them for more info on shipping $$ and what finishes/options are available. With the AUS$ up a bit, its a good time to order.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang about, I do recall reading about a 2010 Shadowcat I think, but as I recall, it had something to do with ATA or brace height being a long way out.

Post Thanks / Like

With the AUS$ up a bit, its a good time to order.

I would go for it as soon as poss, the AU$ is up on the Chinese currency revaluation, but the outcome has been inflated somewhat, so AU$ rally might be heading south in the near future.

Hey bet you're glad you didn't buy my Hog! just kiddin, I would've got you new limbs anyway!!!

Destroyer

Hey bet you're glad you didn't buy my Hog
    Yeah just a bit. Would have been good hey, buy another coz mine has limb problems and get the new bow and......................not good, not good!

I would go for it as soon as poss, the AU$ is up on the Chinese currency revaluation, but the outcome has been inflated somewhat, so AU$ rally might be heading south in the near future.
    Thanks for the info Dave. Yep, asap. If the AUS$ will just hold on a bit longer.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 06-21-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang about, I do recall reading about a 2010 Shadowcat I think, but as I recall, it had something to do with ATA or brace height being a long way out.
    The ShadowCat have been recalled because .. oh .. i will not tell you. Just will upset some more people.

Just for your information: Many Manufacturers (Hoyt, PSE, ...) produce parts of their bows in China. I am sure that even Martin gets parts like axles, e-clips, washers and so on from China.
    Made in China equals not always bad quality. But most of the time bad working conditions. Look at the iPod or the iPad.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

The ShadowCat have been recalled because .. oh .. i will not tell you. Just will upset some more people.

Oh dear! Does the recall involve the 2010 Shadowcat only, or do I have concerns with my Alien X?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Guys, I have been following this thread, but haven't responded because I thought you had things well in hand. Apparently my help is needed, but I can only say what I know or susepct.

There is the issue of a kit with all the parts. When I got my Alien Z it had the wrong cams, limbs, and strings. I called Joel and he sent me out the parts kit although it was for the wrong bow. Everything was packaged together and included cams, strings, axles, and Roto cups. The limbs were separate. So apparently Martin.Rytera makes these things up as a package; more than likely for those building the bows at the factory.

OK, that being said there is also the issue of whether the Cat2 cams will work. It is just my understanding that there are Cat cams and Cat2 cams. From looking at a 2009 catalog of the Warthog only the Cat cams were available that year. It's possible that Cats cams were put on some bows built later in 2009.

Whatever, the Cat2 cams you have should work with the new limbs, Roto caps and such. One way to tell is to look near the center of the cam where the cable take-up slot is located (hope this is understandable). On a Cat cam this groove is machined straight around the hub. The Cat2 cam has the groove machined on an angle so that when you draw the bow and the cable is rolled off the hub it rolls off and ends up closer to the center of the cam. I have pictures of this on the thread of rebuilding my 2008 FireCat.

I did just such a conversions some months ago with my 2008 FireCat. I got the 2010 limbs, roto cups, and new strings---no cams. Installed everything and when the bow was drawn the cams leaned badly---like maybe 15 degrees or so. That's when I called Joel and he informed me that the older Cat cam was not compatable with the new limbs style and subsequently sent me 2010 Cat2 cams. These work like a dream.

As for the limbs. Yes I too believe that Martin had a major issue with limbs on the 2009 and some 2008 bows. Most of the limbs I have seen or heard about all exhibited the same problem--longitudinal split right at the bottom of the limb fork. I split a limb while shooting a 50# bow at only 42#. Shouldn't happen and I can say this is the first time I have lost a limb in 37 years of shooting compound bows. I believe the limbs just couldn't hold up to the stresses on these modern bow designs. Unfortunately the consumer is the one who has to find this out. Considering that many of the splits were diagonal through the limb fork I believe the problem was(is) extreme limb twist at the forks creating a lot more stress on one of the forks, usually the one opposite of the cable guard.

So far I've had no isues with the newer 4 layer limbs. My Alien has Barnesdale limbs so I don't expect to ever have any problems with them. So now I'll sit back and wait for comments.
    I'm still a bit confused on this cam change thing.
    Is my thinking all wrong here?
    '08 C.A.T. cams have a straight cable track and wont work because of cam lean and the cables rubbing on the sides of the modules. (original issue)
    '09 C.A.T. 2 cams will work because they have the helical cable tracks.
    --However, you will have to use thin spacers on each side of them because they are thinner than the inside width of the '10 limbs and their bearings are pressed in flush with the cams.
    '10 C.A.T. 2's will obviously work because they have the helical cable track and have the 'shouldered' bearings which eliminate the spacers - hence helping to eliminate cam lean.
    If all that is correct - then it makes a lot more sense to go with all '10 parts.
    Plus the '10 modules are rounded off on the outside to help with the cables rubbing on them...
    Barry - does the cams you put on your firecat have the shouldered bearings ('10's) or did you have to use spacers ('09's)??
    ...or do I have it all totally wrong...???...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear! Does the recall involve the 2010 Shadowcat only, or do I have concerns with my Alien X?
    ShadowCat only.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

As for the limbs. Yes I too believe that Martin had a major issue with limbs on the 2009 and some 2008 bows. Most of the limbs I have seen or heard about all exhibited the same problem--longitudinal split right at the bottom of the limb fork. I split a limb while shooting a 50# bow at only 42#. Shouldn't happen and I can say this is the first time I have lost a limb in 37 years of shooting compound bows. I believe the limbs just couldn't hold up to the stresses on these modern bow designs. Unfortunately the consumer is the one who has to find this out. Considering that many of the splits were diagonal through the limb fork I believe the problem was(is) extreme limb twist at the forks creating a lot more stress on one of the forks, usually the one opposite of the cable guard.

Mr. Fisher,
    I've had problems with my new '09 Warthog making intermittent cracking sounds upon the draw, with Martin simply saying that I need to lube the roto cup. I had that done, and it still is makiing that cracking sound. I'm convinced that I too have defective limbs.....that there is a crack in there that simply hasn't blown apart yet. How do I get Martin to replace what are obviously defective limbs.....they just keep blowing me off. Any suggestions???? Please help.
    ________
    volcano digital review
    Last edited by baerman; 01-22-2011 at 03:42 PM.