Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martins not needing a bowpress?

reflexdeflex

Default Martins not needing a bowpress?

I have just recently bought a 06 Razor X elite with an x system, and would like to adjust the cam timing.
    I heard speculations on how martins don't need to be pressed, that the limb bolts can be backed out far enough to relax the string.
    Is that true?

dbd870

It is true. However having a press is kind of nice so you don't have to mess around with the limb bolts repeatedly.

nocknroll

So how do you know when to stop letting out the limb bolts?

Post Thanks / Like

The Limb bolt is screwed into a nut in the riser. You can back out the bolt until the string is loose enough to be removed from the cam to relax the limbs. If you plan to do so please put your bow on a flat place as the limbs will be very lose. if you are not sure how far you should turn your limb bolts out you can have a look at the nut in the riser. You can see the screw in it. If you turn it out you will see some light coming through it. if so you should stop immediately.

I own a Razor-X myself and this works very good.

If you only want to do some cam timing you can search for a tutorial by flytier. He explains how to time the bow without using a bow press or disassembling it.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

xxx
    Post Thanks / Like

It is true, but it also your eyes and teeth at risk. I've used this method to change the strings or cables on all my martins. Like anything involving a system of stored energy that is capable of putting holes in animals do things at your own risk. I do it but I have really good life insurance.

flytier17

Solving Cam Lean:

Place a straight arrow on the flat side of the cam, extending towards the center of the string, parallel with the string. Observe and record the gap betweenb the tip of the arrow and the serving. Now do this to the other side of the same cam. Compare the differences in distance between the arrow tip and the streing on either side. You will be qable to tell easily if you have lean on that cam. Twist the appropriate cables to correct. If the cam is leaning close to the arrow on the left side, twist the left cables to shortenthem and make the cam lean in the opposite direction. (loosening the opposite cables will also have the desired effect.) Then perform the entire procedure on the other cam.

Timing Cams:

Place the bowstring on a SECURE hook and "draw" the bow by pressing down on it. Observe which cam comes to rest first. Untwist BOTH the cables attatched to that cam. Or, twist the two opposite cables. Use 1/2 twists because a 1/2 twist will have a great effect on the timing.

Twisting Cables On A NOS X System Without A Press:

Place the bow upright on a soft well-padded carpet. DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE BOW AS THIS WILL PLACE UNDUE STRESS ON THE CAM! Just place your hand flet on the upper limb and wrap your fingertips around the end of 1 of the cables. Squeeze the cable towards the limb. This will create slack in the other cable. You can remove it from the limb tip. Don't worry, you can let go of the pressed cable. As long as the bow is not drawn, it will not come to any harm. Twist/untwist the cable as you so desire. Press the other cable again and replace the twisted/untwisted cable on the tip again, and let og. All should be fine. Just make sure the cable is well seated in the limb-tip groove. Now repeat for the other cable on the same limb-tip, taking extra precaution to twist it the same as the previous cable. Now flip the bow over and repeat. Make sure all 4 cables are treated the same, elsways they will upset lean/timing. Unless of course, only 1 or 2 cables need twistingg because ytou are trying to establish timing or eradicate lean.

Hope this helps.

Alec

flytier17

There you go...

flytier17

Not dangerous at all. If you are having trouble, you can back the bolts out 2-3 trns and do this method.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you have not to do a search either.. :P
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

nocknroll

I found a VIDEO of someone demonstrating disassembling a Martin without a press. Cool.