Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow String

norcal1936

Default Bow String

Does anyone use an 8125 string. Is this a good string? What is different from
    450,452? thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not use it but i know soem people.

It might give you some fps more in speed but not that much. As far as i know VaporTrail strings are made out of a blend of 8125 and 452x
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Martin factory strings are 8125 are they not ???

Post Thanks / Like

I have had custom strings made by Bucknasty out of BCY 8125 and they performed very well. Some people claim that 8125 creeps more than other materials such as 452X, but I don't think the fault lies with the material so much as the quality of the string construction.

I've also had strings made of 8125 that were not very good. Again, it's how much care is taken with the string builder.

I don't know if things have changed, but a few years back 8125 was the standard for Winner's Choice strings, and as everybody knows WC strings have a very good reputation. I have a set on my 2005 ShadowCat with Nitrous X cams.

8125 has been one of the fastest string materials for quite a few years. I gained 11 fps over the factory strings when I put them on the ShadowCat. The following year I put 8125 on my P3 (Phantom) and saw no gain at all, so I guess each bow can exhibit different performance characteristics.

Some people in the know get a mix&match set made. They'll get cable(s) made from 452X for stability and the string from 8125 for the speed. It sure can't hurt anything.

You really want the skinny about string materials then visit BCY or Brownell websites. Honestly though, the average person wouldn't know whats on his bow unless told what it is.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

norcal1936

Thanks Folks.

Destroyer

but I don't think the fault lies with the material so much as the quality of the string construction.
    This is so true! My latest 452x string creeps badly. Last set didn't at all, same 452x, same maker. So much for the material type being at fault. Next string will be 8125 from a different maker.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased a set from www.hmbowstrings.com that is a combination of 8125, Dynaflight 97, 450 and 452,

Have to say they are performing extremely well in all regards and were ridiculously cheap. You have to wait a while for your order cause he's a one man show, but you would be hard pressed to get better.

Destroyer

Going to give h&m bowstrings a go this time Dave, sounds like a really good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Martin factory strings are 8125 are they not ???
    Both cable & string or just string?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Going to give h&m bowstrings a go this time Dave, sounds like a really good deal.

Both cable & string or just string?
    Their site says it is all 8125 - at least on the pro series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Their site says it is all 8125 - at least on the pro series.
    Let me clarifiy something. Not all the Pro series bows have the same strings. There is Double Helix and there is Double Helix Elite. The Double Helix is made in-house at Martin. This is what is used on bows like the FireCat
    TR2 (aka--Moab) and the other single cam bows. Double Helix Elite is Martin's reference for strings made by Stone Mountain and are those used on all the Cat cam and Rytera bows.

So please don't confuse the two. The Double Helix Elite is a much better string. Whether they are made of 8125 is something I don't know. I just don't do all the homework I should about these matters. As I've said sevral times, I just shoot the things. I don't have any inside information about lots of details.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver