Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pantera poundage

Wizz

Red face Pantera poundage

Hello, I am a new Martin owner, purchased a Pantera about a month ago. I have been shooting compounds for about 15 years now and must say my Pantera is the smoothest bow I have shot. I owned Hoyt,PSE, Jennings bows none as quiet or smooth as this Martin. My question is with the pondage. I purchased a 45 to 60 lb bow( previous bows wer all 70's), I wanted to shoot its peak weight or a bit more if possible however my dealer could only get 58lbs max. Is this normal or can there be something done to get me to 60+ without changing the limbs?

Thanks

oncechance

Hello. You or your dealer need to do some "twisting of the cables" to increase your poundage.

Wizz

Talking

Thank you very much, I will be out for a visit to the dealer next week and will see how it goes.

Destroyer

Buy some new limbs. You won't get much out of twisting the cables up any way, maybe a few pounds You could end up with cracked limbs as a result.

No chance of getting 70lbs out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Buy some new limbs. You won't get much out of twisting the cables up any way, maybe a few pounds You could end up with cracked limbs as a result.

No chance of getting 70lbs out of it.
    He is not looking for 70#. Just trying to get 60#, but 59# is within acceptable parameters for any bow. That's only 2# light. Venturing an educated guess about 4 to 5 twists on each cable should be all that's necessary.

Be aware that twisting the cables to boost the weight is going to increase the draw length a little bit. Maybe you'll be OK with it, but if not you can shorten up that little bit with the draw stop. Were only talking about maybe 1/8".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    He is not looking for 70#. Just trying to get 60#
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
    I wanted to shoot its peak weight or a bit more if possible
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
    previous bows were all 70's
    My previous bow were all 70lbs +. Some as high as 85lbs. After finding out how slow my Pantera was at 65#, I was glad to get heavier limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm about to buy a Pantera. Just wondering what you mean by how slow it was at 65 lbs? I have a 31" draw abnd will be shooting at 65-70lbs. Also, did you switch the factory limbs to something else?

Destroyer

My Pantera is a 2007 model with M-Pro. At 65# it was bloody slow, much slower than specs said it should be. Why? Who knows. The top limb cracked so I had to buy new limbs due to the F**KING PR**K dealers here that didn't want to warrant my bow. It gave me a opportunity however to go to heavier factory limbs (from 5H to 7H, from 65# to 75#) to pick up a bit of speed. The bow is just a tad faster now.

I've always shot at least 70# and have no idea why I even bought a 65# bow. You can always adjust down to 65# from 70# anyway. This also takes a bit of strain off the limbs as well.

The 2010 Pantera will be a bit faster with the m2-pro cam but I would still get the 70# model.

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyer, why do you think you have to shoot heavier poundage to get more speed? This is not always the case. I assume you are thinking so if you can shoot the same arrow. But are your present arrows going to spine right for the increased poundage?

In the same token, you can shoot that light 65# and just shoot a lighter arrow, tweak the cam timing and a myriad of other things to get better performance from a bow.

Let me ask you this. What would you change to get more speed if you were not capable of drawing heavier weight? I can give you a hint.......get a faster bow to start with. The MPro or M2Pro is not a speed cam. And almost in all cases a smoother cam means smoother draw and for that you give up speed. If you shoot a comparable bow with Cat cams, for instance, you'd gain about 15 to 20 fps, all other things being equal.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Destroyer, why do you think you have to shoot heavier poundage to get more speed? This is not always the case. I assume you are thinking so if you can shoot the same arrow. But are your present arrows going to spine right for the increased poundage?
    No I don't think you HAVE to shoot heavier to get more speed. With the slower bows it helps. Spine? My 340's are still 'bullet hole' with the extra 6# and noticeably faster even though the increase should have only been 10-12 fps. I wont shoot a real light arrow, too much stress on the bow.

In the same token, you can shoot that light 65# and just shoot a lighter arrow, tweak the cam timing and a myriad of other things to get better performance from a bow.

The 340's is what I have (2 doz of them) is all I will have for a while. Shooting a lighter arrow works yes, but it means $$$ which I'm saving for another bow (hopefully). I don't see any number of tweaking with the M-Pro picking up enough speed.

get a faster bow to start with. The MPro or M2Pro is not a speed cam. And almost in all cases a smoother cam means smoother draw and for that you give up speed. If you shoot a comparable bow with Cat cams, for instance, you'd gain about 15 to 20 fps, all other things being equal.
    If you cannot handle the weight? Yep shoot a faster bow IF you can afford it, if you can handle the difference in where the cam peaks (and holds) in the draw and if you have the opportunity to make the choice. But your right, a bow with cats will shoot much faster than with soft cams all things being equal. Sometimes though, there is more to how you choose a bow than the mechanics of it all.