Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Said I wouldn't but did, new Martin Limbs - Questions

Destroyer

Talking Said I wouldn't but did, new Martin Limbs - Questions

After Dave having good luck with his broken limbs from our 'local' dealer, I though I might as well give Martins limbs another go and see what happens.

They arrived yesterday (love express post) and after a bit of a panic (nearly loosing one of the axle cir-clips) it went together fine. The NextG1 camo & APG riser doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, not great but not bad either. The round limb ends in the square limb pockets looks a bit strange, but if I don't look at it too much................ its fine lol!

Any way, the 7H limbs are a lot heavier than the 5H's that came with the bow, scale is reading 79lbs bottomed out. Backed it off a turn down to 75lbs so I could shoot the beast. Just as well the M-pro is a soft cam, wouldn't be able to handle it at this weight with cat's. But I digress.....

The only thing that wasn't 100% is the limb pivots fit in the new limbs. In the old 5H's, they were a real tight fit and on the new 7H's they just push straight in, no wobble, but if I turn the limb upside down they will fall out.

Should I worry about it? And do they always have the clear washer underneath them?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

After Dave having good luck with his broken limbs from our 'local' dealer, I though I might as well give Martins limbs another go and see what happens.

Just bare in mind that the luck wasn't absolute, as the limbs ended up cracking! The luck was that they were covered by warranty and I received new 2010 limbs after paying for the 2009/2010 conversion kit.

Hopefully the same won't happen with yours, if it does, I strongly advise you consider the 2010 conversion. That said, I havn't assembled mine yet, who knows what might bloody well happen! Another tip, is don't shoot the bow with the limbs maxed out.

Sorry I can't give you any input re the limb pivots other than try it out or give James a call at A Mart.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    I strongly advise you consider the 2010 conversion.
    It will work with my bow? Good if it would.

Another tip, is don't shoot the bow with the limbs maxed out.
    I wont but it shouldn't make a difference. I have done a few other things to help the limbs last:

• Went back to the original cable & string. The 452X might just be too non-stretch, putting the bow under more stress. The Y is a bit longer than the on the 452x as well.

• Going back to 4" low profile vanes (from blazers) to reduce the cable guard/cables clearance amount. Hopefully putting less twist into the limbs. Also adds a bit of weight to the shaft.

• Might be going back to alloy's sooner than expected. The alloy's absorb more vibration and of course weigh in a bit heavier which will help things.

Shouldn't have to do any of this.

Destroyer

Sorry I can't give you any input re the limb pivots other than try it out
    Shot it and................ no problem. It sounds a fair bit quieter and just a tad faster. No way I could shoot this thing maxed out. I think 75lbs is at my limit now. Might even back it off another turn yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Shot it and................ no problem. It sounds a fair bit quieter and just a tad faster. No way I could shoot this thing maxed out. I think 75lbs is at my limit now. Might even back it off another turn yet.

Great news! yeah 75# is stretching it a bit for 70# limbs.

Got the Hog up and firing today with the 2010 conversion. Man, I had to do a lot of cable twisting, the ATA was 1/2" long and the brace height 3/8" short.

Finally after many twists, cam adjustments etc, I got her right! Got to say one of the best things I've done was build a draw board, it makes life a lot easier.

It's shooting bullet holes at several distances with fletched and bare shafts and I'm getting 290fps at 65# with 410gr arrow and 29" DL. could probably advance the cams a little more, but I'll wait til it settles in.

Destroyer

It's shooting bullet holes at several distances with fletched and bare shafts and I'm getting 290fps at 65# with 410gr arrow and 29" DL. could probably advance the cams a little more, but I'll wait til it settles in.
    Good stuff Dave! Bullet holes & 290fps from 65#, I could handle that. How about some pics of the hog?

The draw board is a great idea, would make life just a little bit easier.

Post Thanks / Like

How about some pics of the hog?

I've got a request list for pics as long as an arrow, but still can't find the bloody camera!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah yeah ...
    I'm still waiting for pics of the grips on the X and one of you at a game wearing a Martin Archery shirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah yeah ...
    I'm still waiting for pics of the grips on the X and one of you at a game wearing a Martin Archery shirt.

I know! I know! I'm slack!!! I'll get another camera and I'll do it!!!!!

Tell ya what Scott, when your team makes the finals, I'll send ya a dvd of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I been keeping track of them on the AFL site.