Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pro shop/ broad head and vanes

J758

Default pro shop/ broad head and vanes

Hey guys! I went and got my broad heads. Magnus 2 blades. I'm still new to our sport. Been shootin almost a year before I ever put any thought into it. I shoot 4 inch vanes. I got some free 2 inch blazer vanes. To try out. Cause I do have fairly light arrows. I'm not gonna hunt with them. Cause I'm set up how I wanna be but I did have a old arrow so I fletched it to try out. Honestly. What's the difference. Does anyone think 2 inch vanes are better than 4 and if so for what reason? Only thing different I ever do is play with arroiw weight and keep my sights dialed for my hunting weight. Ok. Enough said bout that, secondly. My friend swears up and down BH must be inline with fletchin. I think this is silly and a matter of prefrence. Also I plan to get a new string after season. Any one got any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

depends on a lot of factors. I shoot 100 gr Crimson Talon XT broadheads which mid atlantic archery states they are best used with 3 inch fletchings ( due to the spin stabalization generated from the curved blades) although they will work with any length. I use 4 inch and they fly fine however I shoot heavy alum arrows to hunt with. BH alined with fletch is good but I've never had any adverse effects from it not being so.
    Last edited by dragonsfire311; 09-24-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    2003 Martin Prowler SE
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT
    Easton Arrows
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    QAD Rest
    Crimson Talon XT broadheads

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by J758 View Post
    Does anyone think 2 inch vanes are better than 4 and if so for what reason?
    The big plus for the 2" vanes is they're shorter - less time for contact with rest, catches less cross wind, lighter so a few faster fps. They increase your arrows FOC (meh imho) and I find them easier to fletch as well. Plus they look .

Bad points are there a higher profile so you can have clearance issues with the rest, cables,etc. They can be noisy sometimes which is very bad for hunting. I don't think they stabilize a 2 blade as well as a 4" vane, imho.

I'm using 4" AAE Elites atm.

must be inline with fletchin
    Rubbish. Might be good for someones 'confidence' but I never have and probably never will line them up. Never seen ANY evidence that shows a benefit.

Also I plan to get a new string after season. Any one got any advice?
    There is lots of custom string makers that will make you a new set, cheap too. Martins new string are looking good though, not sure when they will be available as a replacement yet though.

Last edited by Destroyer; 09-24-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the whole alignment theory is a myth. I've shot arrows that had the broadheads lines up perfectly, as well as some that were completely out of line. Both shot the same. As long as the bow is tuned well, and the arrow to broadhead alignment is good, there's no difference. But, taking the time to align the fletchings with the blades give some poeple more to tinker with. lol I shoot Martin Fury 3 inch vanes, 2inch Quik SPins, and 2.5 inch Fusion vanes. Depending on the arrow I'm shooting. They all stabilize a broadhead equally as well. The Fury and Fusion vanes are a bit quieter though. For a string, I just got new string and cables from H&M and love them! Great strings, and cheap. Set for my Firecat costed $45 including shipping.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 09-30-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey J758,
    Years ago, I read a theory put forth by a well know "expert" as being...fletching alignment with the blades of the broadhead is based upon the wind turbulence. Again, the thinking of that author was "...the turbulence created by the broadhead should be in alignment with the turbulence created by the fletching, minimizing the number of turbulence creating protuberences on the shaft of the arrow......". Is it a valid point? Perhaps if we were measuring an arrow launched from a machine in a highly controlled situation, and then probably by a few thousandths of an inch. In the real world? Well, if you feel more confident in the results because of alignment, then do it. Or....if someone with LOTS of practical experience, like the pros on this site, say that it's better, then it probably is. Otherwise, do as you please.

SonnyThomas

Default pro shop/ broad head and vanes

Just about anything today is a matter of personal perference.

As for aligning the blades to the vanes, this goes back to Traditional bows, stick or recurve.

Vanes, again, are a personal perference. However, I did tests of short vanes. All proved excellent for guidance. I fletched them as per instructions, 5 degrees and full helical.

By suggestion, Blazers, Twisters and Fusions are not to be fletched full helical, but this due to supposedly robbing down range velocity. Well, I'm not shooting past 40 yards when hunting, so just how much speed is being robbed? Not much.

timtim146

Well about bh being aligned to the vanes it matters what heads you shoot. My cabelas fx3s shoot the exact same as my fp if I align them to the vanes. If I don't align them they shoot about 6 inches to the right.but most others I've had didn't matter

Post Thanks / Like

Well...

I have a dozen of different SilverFlames and i don't care about the orientation. They all fly the same. But even worse: My arrows are 32" long, the BH with insert weighs 190 grains and i use only 3 Miniblazers. That is 1.5" fletchings.

And guess what?

Yeah. It works.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Simon, don't want to be nasty, but why do you have A DOZEN Silver flames when you can't bowhunt in Germany?
    P.S. I also have a dozen broadheads and i'm not a hunter at all... This addictive sport makes us do strange things.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Oh... I love them... Unfortunately i never bought a 100gr one and GermanKinetics closed yesterday. I have also a bunch of Magnus BH but i am not that satisfied by them. Nothing in comparison.

Just fyi Alex (maybe you are itnerested.. ):

I got the following SF-BH:
    - 125gr
    - 150gr
    - 150gr XL (those XL ones are REALLY nasty)
    - 180gr
    - 180gr XL
    - 210gr

and a special
    - 140 gr unique one.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010