Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warthog tuning question

lucaar

Default Warthog tuning question

I have a 2009' Warthog 29", 70#. My local pro-shop just installed 2010 limbs and kit. When I picked it up they told me in order to get the bow to pull 70# they had to really wrap up the cables. When I got the bow I noticed the cams are wrapped up so tight the post is hitting the cable (over rotated cam). I also noticed by axle to axle was 1/4" short. My BH was spot on. I am going to take a few twists of each cable so they aren't hitting the posts but I want to maintain the 70# draw weight. What can I do to get my draw weight back to 70# after I take a few twists off the cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

What can I do to get my draw weight back to 70# after I take a few twists off the cables? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just completed the conversion myself. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's nothing you can do, twisting cables increases draw weight and untwisting does the opposite.

I can say that Cat2 cams perform at their best when they have the cables wrapped up. If you go to www.archerytalk.com and do a search on cat cam tuning you will find a mountain of very useful information

Good luck

lucaar

I understand the CAT cams like to be wrapped, but the cables are hitting the posts (over rotated). Can I untwist the string to get the draw weight back after I untwist the cables? Shouldn't the 70# limbs max at at least 70# without loading the limbs with the cables?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the CAT cams like to be wrapped, but the cables are hitting the posts (over rotated). Can I untwist the string to get the draw weight back after I untwist the cables? Shouldn't the 70# limbs max at at least 70# without loading the limbs with the cables?

You could try taking a few twists out of the string. The ideal position for the cables to be, relative to the posts, is about 1/8" off. If the cables are only just touching the posts, it probably won't reduce your DW much to untwist cables to the 1/8" position.

What is the limb code on your new limbs?

Post Thanks / Like

I would pull it all off and measure the cables/string to be sure they are the correct lengths.
    Did the conversion kit come with new one's or is it your old strings on it?
    There is a chance that they are not right-on the lengths they should be.
    Get them set at the correct lengths then reassemble it and see what your BH and ATA is.
    If it is on or just a smidge off I would make adjustments to get the cams rotated so you have an 1/8" between the cables and posts.
    Then adjust to get the cams in time with each other.
    Now check the poundage. If it is only off by 1 or 2 - I wouldn't worry about it.
    If everything is set correctly - you are not going to notice a couple pounds.
    Having everything in sync and set up right is way more important and the bow will perform better than worrying about being right on a certain number.
    And - do you know what the deflection # was on the old limbs and is it the same on the new one's?

Post Thanks / Like

I would pull it all off and measure the cables/string to be sure they are the correct lengths.
    Did the conversion kit come with new one's or is it your old strings on it?
    There is a chance that they are not right-on the lengths they should be.
    Get them set at the correct lengths then reassemble it and see what your BH and ATA is.
    If it is on or just a smidge off I would make adjustments to get the cams rotated so you have an 1/8" between the cables and posts.
    Then adjust to get the cams in time with each other.
    Now check the poundage. If it is only off by 1 or 2 - I wouldn't worry about it.
    If everything is set correctly - you are not going to notice a couple pounds.
    Having everything in sync and set up right is way more important and the bow will perform better than worrying about being right on a certain number.
    And - do you know what the deflection # was on the old limbs and is it the same on the new one's?

Good info from SPIKER which reminded me that when I did my conversion, I found that my original string and cables were 3/8" too long, hence many twists to get to specs. I think the 2010 Warthog conversion may call for different cable and string sizes.

lucaar

Thanks for all your help guys. I am still using my stock string and cables. string is 57" and cables are 40.5". Does anyone know what the string and cable specs are on the new setup? I will check on the limb code when I get off work. I think it is on the bottom side where the limb connects to the riser?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your help guys. I am still using my stock string and cables. string is 57" and cables are 40.5". Does anyone know what the string and cable specs are on the new setup? I will check on the limb code when I get off work. I think it is on the bottom side where the limb connects to the riser?

Information states string/cable specs the same for 2009 and 2010. Could be there is some minor change in the 2010 riser, but definitely the string/cable set up, which was spot on before the conversion, is now approx. 3/8" too long.

I've got her shooting well, as good as prior to the conversion, but not happy at the amount of twists in the cables in particular. when I order a new set, I'll alter the lengths.

I'll also contact Martin re the issue as my local dealer is a bit vagu on this particular subject.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    Could be there is some minor change in the 2010 riser
    I'd say yes from the sound of it. 2010 might have a slightly longer riser or different angle. Maybe they're loading up the limbs more, past parallel. If the brace height and ata end up the same, and the poundage is right......

Quote Originally Posted by gibson 787 View Post
    I'll also contact Martin re the issue as my local dealer is a bit vague on this particular subject.
    Really? That's a big surprise

lucaar

String is 57" and cables are 40.5. The number on the bottom of the limbs says 5L 6/10. Correction on the Axle to Axle.... it is 34.5", BH is 6.5