Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy level question

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! The MOAB is really a good bow, some people don't like it, but i think it's great for begginers (when i bought it i was shooting compounds only for 3-4 months). I used to shoot it with fingers, but last summer took a release and now prefer to shoot with it. It's much more accurate. Tommorow i'll give the bowshooting a little break, because the last 2 weeks i've shot at least a couple of thousand shots (traditional only) and my fingers and neck need a rest
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

SonnyThomas

Default Accuracy level question

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I can't participate in competitions, because we haven't any here.
    Where do you live? That's the pits, not able to compete. We have 3D leagues indoors at one of the local sports shops and outdoor 3Ds on Sat & Sun -can shoot two different clubs each weekend. We have about 6 clubs within a 50 miles raduis. Paper indoor leagues, Qualifiers and Championships are held during cold weather times. We have the NFAA 5 spot, the Vegas face, and the new ASA indoor paper target. I just got back from Metropolis, Illinois, my home state - The ASA ProAm. I shot for two days down there, but had I shot the Superman Classic (the city's shoot) it would have been 5 straight days of shooting. Then I work (play) at a archery shop and pretty much can shoot all I want.

Destroyer

but what do you guys think about it?
    Its good. Like Dave has mentioned, its about consistency though. I feel that to be able to say that you group at a particular measurement (say a 2" group or whatever), you need to be repeating this at least 7 times out of 10. Personally I think this should be at least 9 times out of ten to be good.

I shoot a single arrow @ 15 yards at a 3" circle with a dot in the middle. My aim (no pun) is to put every shot in the dot (or close to it) with my worst shot, not out of the 3" circle. Now the 3" @ 15 yards doesn't sound that good but I'm being honest here. And this is my hunting gear, not some cheater-man bow that uses those huge stabilizers, scopes and such.

Every time someone states they can do it everytime I just laugh. Archery is a hard f**k of a sport.

Post Thanks / Like

@SonnyThomas

Alex lives in Bulgaria. You do not know where this is? DO not worry about that. Even i have to look it up sometimes and it is not that far away form germany. Just some other countries of the former USSR in between, lol.

And when using metric sizes.. Just give or take a yard and you have approx the same. 18m are 19.5yds, 40yds are 36.5m, 50yds are 46m and 60yds are 55m.

Indoors i will shoot only one arrow per target. But this is normal as i shoot on the FITA indoor spots. Unfortunately i am getting more and more attracted to field archery. Field archery is very unpopular here and most clubs do net even allow compound bows but wooden bows only. FITA is great for training and can be fun to participate - i just prefer field over it.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    @SonnyThomas

Alex lives in Bulgaria. You do not know where this is? DO not worry about that. Even i have to look it up sometimes and it is not that far away form germany. Just some other countries of the former USSR in between, lol.
    We are 2000km and 200 years (or more) away (behind) from Germany But Simon, you are not right about the former USSR - we were their closest satelite, but never part of them, so are the other countries of the region. I can assure you, my younger western friend, that there's a huge difference
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Where do you live? That's the pits, not able to compete. We have 3D leagues indoors at one of the local sports shops and outdoor 3Ds on Sat & Sun -can shoot two different clubs each weekend. We have about 6 clubs within a 50 miles raduis. Paper indoor leagues, Qualifiers and Championships are held during cold weather times. We have the NFAA 5 spot, the Vegas face, and the new ASA indoor paper target. I just got back from Metropolis, Illinois, my home state - The ASA ProAm. I shot for two days down there, but had I shot the Superman Classic (the city's shoot) it would have been 5 straight days of shooting. Then I work (play) at a archery shop and pretty much can shoot all I want.
    You're lucky and i feel extremely envy Archery isn't popular in Bulgaria at all. There was some hope that people will start dealing with it, but the crisis and the very expensive archery equipment put an end of it, at least for now. People here prefer cheaper hobbies like fishing or airguns (the hunters use only firearms) - with the money for a good bow you can buy 3 good quality air rifles or 30 chinese ones. It's hard to choose archery when an arrow costs as much as a day's wage. There are a few madmen like me who invest in archery - but i don't complain much, because i feel like a VIP client in any shop selling archery equipment, even if i don't buy anything

Post Thanks / Like

We are 2000km and 200 years (or more) away (behind) from Germany But Simon, you are not right about the former USSR - we were their closest satelite, but never part of them, so are the other countries of the region. I can assure you, my younger western friend, that there's a huge difference
    Well..

At least poland, hungary and czech republic were part of the 'Warschauer Pakt' (not sure about the english term) and so were they part of the USSR. In this case i think i am right when i say that the USSR was between our countries.

I am sorry, i did not want to attack you in any way my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Every time someone states they can do it everytime I just laugh. Archery is a hard f**k of a sport.
    It sure is! Some days i hit the bullseye almost every shot and others (like today ) i have no luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see how it works for me today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Well..

At least poland, hungary and czech republic were part of the 'Warschauer Pakt' (not sure about the english term) and so were they part of the USSR. In this case i think i am right when i say that the USSR was between our countries.

I am sorry, i did not want to attack you in any way my friend.
    Oh, you didn't, Simon. You know, i'm a historian and sometimes i'm a little boring when it comes to historical details.
    P.S. I'll take the risk and correct you again (for which i apologize) - participating in the Warsaw Pact doesn't make these countries part of the USSR, like the participating of Western Germany or Great Britain in NATO doesn't make them part of the USA. But of course if you use USSR as a synonym of the Communistic empire you're absolutely right