Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Hunter breakage

Whisperbow

Default Martin Hunter breakage

If there was one bow I would pick to be "Bullet Proof" from breakage during normal shooting it would be the Martin Hunter. Recently I sold a Hunter on Ebay that was like new. I bought the bow in March to clone the grip on bows I make. I shot it several times during the few months i had it and left it strung for days at a time with zero problems. I sold it on Ebay and now the buyer says it broke the first time he used it. I am confident he strung it wrong or the limb hit something on release. Can anyone add anything comments to my situation. I have asked for a picture of the limb. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Every bow can be broken, but you're right - he must have strung it wrong. Too much twisting the string and a longer DL can also cause a breakage i think. Or too light arrow. Only he can tell, but don't count on it
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

If it truly is as he says, Martin may replace the limbs.

Destroyer

Recurve's break, NONE are "bullet proof". If you really make bows, then you already know this, or at least you should. There is a possibility that he strung it wrong but its a slim one. Hit something on release? Slim again. There are lots of other possibilities that I wont go into because I don't know who is actually telling the truth. You say, they say. It might have been stuffed when you sold it to him too, HOW DO WE KNOW!

One thing I do know, if he disputes you correctly, eBay will end up making you refund all of the money. He will have to pay for the return postage but you could end up refunding for the price + initial postage as well. He doesn't have to give you a photo by the way, all he has to do is dispute it, faulty or damaged goods, then you pay.

Honestly, if I was you, I might be thinking of what I could do for him (as a seller) instead of coming here looking for evidence to prove him wrong. Even if he does provide a photo, which will prove nothing except that the bow is broken, there is no real way to prove that he did anything wrong.

Maybe it would be easier to cut you losses and offer to refund the cost of the bow and give yourself less hassle. Call this a learning thing. If you are going to sell recurve's on eBay then this is going to happen sometime.

Maybe a eBay forum would be a more appropriate place to seek help. I think it is BAD FORM to bring it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperbow View Post
    I bought the bow in March to clone the grip on bows I make.
    Almost missed this. Why clone a Martin grip? I'm generally a suspicious person by nature, and I hope you are not making up some bs story to get feedback on why your clone recurve broke? I say this because the bowyers I've talked too don't have any problem designing the grip themselves.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-03-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Whisperbow

Default Response to Desroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Recurve's break, NONE are "bullet proof". If you really make bows, then you already know this, or at least you should. There is a possibility that he strung it wrong but its a slim one. Hit something on release? Slim again. There are lots of other possibilities that I wont go into because I don't know who is actually telling the truth. You say, they say. It might have been stuffed when you sold it to him too, HOW DO WE KNOW!

One thing I do know, if he disputes you correctly, eBay will end up making you refund all of the money. He will have to pay for the return postage but you could end up refunding for the price + initial postage as well. He doesn't have to give you a photo by the way, all he has to do is dispute it, faulty or damaged goods, then you pay.

Honestly, if I was you, I might be thinking of what I could do for him (as a seller) instead of coming here looking for evidence to prove him wrong. Even if he does provide a photo, which will prove nothing except that the bow is broken, there is no real way to prove that he did anything wrong.

Maybe it would be easier to cut you losses and offer to refund the cost of the bow and give yourself less hassle. Call this a learning thing. If you are going to sell recurve's on eBay then this is going to happen sometime.

Maybe a eBay forum would be a more appropriate place to seek help. I think it is BAD FORM to bring it here.

Almost missed this. Why clone a Martin grip? I'm generally a suspicious person by nature, and I hope you are not making up some bs story to get feedback on why your clone recurve broke? I say this because the bowyers I've talked too don't have any problem designing the grip themselves.
    I must say, you do have a proper handle because your negative/ sarcastic comments are destructive.
    1.I am an experienced recurve bowyer and more than likely, know more than you do about them as well all other types of Traditional equipment.
    2. I came to this site just checking to see if anyone had any strange problems with the recent Hunters.
    3. I asked for a picture to prove this guy was telling the truth and so far no reply.
    4. I am a Top-Rated seller on Ebay with only one negative comment(not justified) in 10 years so I am well aware of my Ebay rights and yes regretfully , I will probably have to refund this guy.
    5. I have made many bows with all styles of grips and my favorite grip is this new hunter so I wanted to get as close as I could to a grip I just shaped on a reflex/deflex longbow I just finished.
    I am 67 years young as of yesterday and have been involved in archery since 1957 so I don't need and don't respect your type of comments and I don't think any other archer welcomes your comments either.

Post Thanks / Like

Calm down guys.

Destroyer just made a statement and explained his point of view. He has the rights to do this and he never tried to blame you for anything.
    I recommend you to respect anyone here in this forum as we are a great working community. There is no reason to agitate in this way.

Ebay ranks do not matter here or anywhere. You can buy nothing from them and they are just internet stuff.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Bury the hatchet, guys! For two years i haven't seen a big quarrel in this forum and i think we all like it this way. Destroyer was a little harsh, but we all have bad moments and answering with the same is no good. Everybody is welcome here with any archery questions, there's no censorship and if the guys are able to help they do it.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Destroyer

First off I would like to say that I'm sorry to any of the regular members here I have offended, I'm not looking to cause any trouble. I just don't want to see any eBay seller trying to use this forum and OUR community for their commercial use by not being honest. My opinion, that's the way I see it.

1.I am an experienced recurve bowyer and more than likely, know more than you do about them as well all other types of Traditional equipment.
    So straight off you assume to know more than I do? Why? There is no way such an experienced bowyer would need help on how any bow can break, especially after how many years of experience? I find it strange that such an experienced bowyer thinks that leaving a bow strung for a few days means...... what exactly?

I came to this site just checking to see if anyone had any strange problems with the recent Hunters.
    No, you came to this forum asking for ideas on how the buyer could have broken the bow. You could have just asked if anyone has had strange problems with the 'hunter' model and left it at that. But you didn't.

I asked for a picture to prove this guy was telling the truth and so far no reply.
    And how will the photo tell you the truth? Don't you believe its broken? Sounds like your trying to bluff him to me. No reply from him, that makes him guilty doesn't it.

I am a Top-Rated seller on eBay with only one negative comment(not justified).
    Never heard that one before lol! Btw, what is your eBay store/username?

just shaped on a reflex/deflex longbow I just finished.
    Which is it, reflexed or deflexed? See this is why I'm a bit suss about it. You would know with all the experience you claim to have. Can't be both now can it. Sounds like copy & paste to me.

I don't think any other archer welcomes your comments either.
    If anyone here has problems with my comments then they can tell me. They don't need you to do it for them.

Ultimately, its up to everyone here to reply or not. I'm not looking to censor anyone, if they want to help you so be it. But I have a right to my opinion and I have cranky days just like anyone else. I'm bit strong at times, harsh too, but that's the way I am. Next time be more honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    he never tried to blame you for anything
    That's right, even tried to help. Different story now...........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

Thought that this was AT for a moment!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

brettbuchanan

i don't know a lot about bows. but my father had is bow petty much exploded on him. the string broke. all hell broke lose on him. come to found out it was dry fired. no limds broke just the string. may be the problem may not have him to send it to martin. the will check the local dealer.