Thread: bowstrings and arrow rest

duffy

Default bowstrings and arrow rest

i have a firecaqt pro-x and currently use a timberdoodle rest off the fingers and it is shooting well.

just wondeirng what other rests on the market are good for finger shooters?

also regarding the bows string i have seen on this forum people talking about instslling new strings and they have mentioned different companies that have made them, but doesnt that go against martins warranty as it isnt there string on the bow?

how do people get round this or do they just upgrade the string to a better one not martins and then the warranty isnt valid?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Martin doesn't warranty their strings anyway.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by duffy View Post
    Plunger and flipper like the terry t-3 on modern bows. NAP center rest are popular, simple, but I don't like them at all.

doesn't that go against martins warranty as it isnt their string on the bow?
    Its a wonder that they don't refuse warranty's for ppl changing to non standard strings & cables. Bad for business if they did though. Bit of a slippery slope.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Octane Hostage and Whisker Bisquit. The last isn't popular anymore among the US archers, but i think it's quite good for finger shooting. Also the good old prong rests.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Look, for one thing the strings on the FireCat are from Stone Mountain so they are a premium string. They should be quite good unless you happened to get a bad set. So if they are good, in your opinion, there is no reason to change them for quite a while.

Secondly, if you do some research you'll find that there are essentially only two companies that make string material---BCY and Brownell. Both make material from the same made-made fibers, just a slightly different blend of each. Each company makes several different blend of Vectran and Dyneema and there is probably a lot of overlapping going on within these materials.

The Stone Mountian strings use the same material as everyone else. The main difference between them and some other string maker is not worth mentioning. There are a myriad of custom string makers and then there are individuals that make their own and for friends, etc.

If you would order a string made of BCY 8125 from somebody like Winner's Choice it's the same BCY 8125 that verybody else uses. And the list goes on.........

Martin is not going to cancel your warranty for using some other string. The bows are manufactured to work with any string. You'll just get some very minor differences with different string materials, but the quality of the string itself is strictly a matter of how well it was constructed in the first place.

So put your mind at ease with this matter. I've never heard of a company refusing to honor a warranty because of string material. In fact, I don't know of any company that even asks what strings were used on the bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I'd say Octane Hostage and Whisker Bisquit. The last isn't popular anymore among the US archers, but i think it's quite good for finger shooting. Also the good old prong rests.
    Rests for finger release require more side pressure than any of these give Alex, there more for release aids.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I don't know of any company that even asks what strings were used on the bow.
    That's right, they usually just look at it.

azbowhunter

Default string warranty

I had some issues with the string on my brand new cheetah, I called martin, and they sent me a new string.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Rests for finger release require more side pressure than any of these give Alex, there more for release aids.
    Hmm, i can't understand this "side pressure" very well, but if you mean that you twist the string and the arrow goes to the left or right, i can't see a better rest then the WB and the Hostage works the same way i think. And the prong rests were the standard when fingershooting dominated as far as i know. From the 4 main types of rests now -drop-aways, lizzard tongue, prong and full containment i think for fingershooting the last 2 would be the best. Of course i may be wrong, but i've shot my MOAB almost a year with fingers and the WB worked well for me.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

All finger shooters know that the best working concept is to use a berger button in combination with a rest that holds the arrow as near to the riser as possible.

Should i mention that this is true for Recurve only?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    All finger shooters know that the best working concept is to use a berger button in combination with a rest that holds the arrow as near to the riser as possible.

Should i mention that this is true for Recurve only?
    Yeah, the guys who practice Olympic archery have all kinds of fancy gear, for me a cheap plastic rest is enough on my recurve.