Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alien Z review

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alien Z review

Well, I stuck my foot in my mouth so I have to do this. A short review of my Alien Z. First a touch of history.

I ordered the bow Nov 6th. After much waiting and a few phone calls I finally got it via UPS on May 22nd. Out of the bow I noticed right away that it wasn't as ordered. Had camo limbs instead of black/carbon. Also that it had Hybrix 2.0 cams which would not make my short draw length. A Phone call or two and three weeks later I had it together.

Instead of the usual black powder coat it has a carbon weave film dip on the riser. Not what I expected but it does look nice. There are a few small imperfections in the finish, but not noticable unless you look. Barnesdale limbs in carbon weave are very nice, just as you'd expect from Barnesdale. Stone Mt, string and cables colored silver and fl. green to match the "Alien" theme. So far so good.

I set it up with a Trophy Taker spring steel rest, .008 blade and the sight is presently a Spott Hogg Hogg-It with .019 pins. The peep is a Specialty hooded Superball with a 1/4" #5 Verifier lens so I can see those pins. Stabilizer is a 12" AEP mounted ona 10 degree down knuckle. One tied-on nockset and that's it.

Shooting the bow is a dream. It draws, aims and holds very well for me. Actually draws easier than my FireCat. At the shot the bow makes a kind of dull metallic clunk and just stops. No vibration or anything. The bow just sits there. Almost reminds me of closing the door on a new vehicle. It just stops with a very solid feel. I was going to get a custom wrist sling to match the string colors, but it's not needed so why spend the money and clutter it up. You know -----KISS.

I did try to bare shaft this thing and it won't do it. No matter what I do any spined arrow I choose planes about 6" right at 15 yards. I think I have all that in an earlier post. So I did like Sonny and lined the rest up with the string grooves in the cam and just shoot it. It's real nock buster and I'm not used to breaking nocks any more. That was in my younger days.

I finally got to chrono this thingand it's not overly impressive. I'll just post the figures and let you guys do the math. It's set at 50# and 27" draw. The arrows are all GT Ultralite 600 and the heavier arrow a 22 series--all Pro series.

291gr (22 series)...256fps...5.8 gr/lb
    260gr..................271fps
    250gr..................276fps
    209gr..................296fps....4.2 gr/lb

When doing the math it's very close to 1fps per 2gr of arrow weight. I'll probably be able to tweak just a bit more out of it, but I think about 5 fps would be all. It doesn't matter anyway as I only have to shoot a max of 35 yards in any f the local 3D shoots and I'm rarely off more than two yards out to that distance.

So nore here's some pics. Nothing special. Just another bow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Barry.! It looks great. I've been holding off on ordering one but -
    think I'll just make the call tomorrow.
    One question - do you think that if it had a rod and slide on it to eliminate some of the ccs side torque that it would bare shaft a bit better?

Destroyer

bare shaft a bit better?
    Have you tried alloy's? My 2315's arrived yesterday, a bit under spined but the best thing was it is FINALLY showing under spined. With the carbons, everything was opposite, under spined was left - nock right, over spined was right - nock left. Carbons don't seem to spine the same way, plus there is less choice in spine rates.

Post Thanks / Like

Spiker, No, I get the same results with my FireCat so I've decided it is either something in the riser design or it's me. Who knows? I'm not going to get my panties in a wad over it. I have all summer to play with things and see what I can get.

Destroyer, The answer to your wuestion is a resounding NO also. For all intent and purposes spine is spine. I don't have any aluminum arrows any more. Gave them up over 15 years ago in the quest for speed and the fact that I gave my arrow straightener to my brother. As I had written before, I have tried four different spined arrows ranging from a GT UL 600 up to the UL 22 series which is a 300 spine. Different point weights, different rest positions, up and down with the draw weight. No matter what I do they all do the same thing. You'd think something would make some sort of difference, but it's not to be so I've pretty much resigned myself to ME being the problem.

For what it's worth I can walk-back tune it and each arrow shoots down the middle and this doesn't vary with rest settings either Sight in for 20 yards and then shoot 40 and they center up. Move the rest in 1/4", sight in for 20 and they still shoot centered at 40. It goes against convention, but that's what I get. The only difference is that the lighter arrows shoot flatter.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the specs fall pretty close. The A2A is 35 15/16" and brace height is 6 1/2".
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Special or not i like it a lot
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

That was a rhyme,
    now i feel fine.

lol.

Great bow, Barry. I must admit that i like the carbon weave pattern.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

I had no luck with bare shafting my Firecat (09) AX (09) or Nemesis (10) either. Quit wasting my time with it. All three of them shoot great and I aint gonna shoot without fletching anyway...
    What is the measurement from the bridge between the berger holes and cl of the arrow?
    Is it farther out than your FC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I had no luck with bare shafting my Firecat (09) AX (09) or Nemesis (10) either. Quit wasting my time with it. All three of them shoot great and I aint gonna shoot without fletching anyway...
    What is the measurement from the bridge between the berger holes and cl of the arrow?
    Is it farther out than your FC?
    Guess you're asking how far out the rest is set for centershot. Without measuring with my dial calipers it/s just about 1 1/16". Just another little detail I forgot to mention.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    The answer to your question is a resounding NO
    Didn't mean for you to swap to alloy's, just if you had a shaft or two laying around to see if the problem still exists.

For all intent and purposes spine is spine.
    Static or dynamic? Static I agree, dynamic is a different thing all together imho. I suspect that the dynamic spine is different between the material types. Can't prove that but it could explain why I get totally opposite bare shaft flight with carbon's compared to alloy's.

I've pretty much resigned myself to ME being the problem.
    Its a possibility. Another is the bow just might be un-tunable. Is it just this bow you have the problem with?

Move the rest in 1/4", sight in for 20 and they still shoot centered at 40. It goes against convention, but that's what I get.
    I said in another thread that I don't think center shot is critical with rests that don't put any side pressure for tuning. This seems to prove that. My center shot is 13/16" if it helps any.

Btw, didn't want to turn your review into a tuning debate. That is one fine bow, the Z is what I would go for, very nice!

KStigall

Interesting results on the speed. we are getting about the same speed my draw length is a good bit shorter.

At 58.5 lbs my 298 gr arrow is moving right at 279-280 fps. But my draw length is maybe 26 1/8". I'm using a Super peep with a verifier and a d-loop with 2 tied nock sets inside the loop. I don't expect anymore fps at my draw length but I would have expected a 27" draw to push 290 fps. I have NO complaints. This -Z is the best thing I've seen come from Walla Walla in a couple of years. 6 days after getting the bow I took 7th at the ASA shoot in London Ky in HC.

At times I shoot the Alien-Z so well I'm expecting to use to it kill x's this coming season. But I won't know for sure until I have it go toe-to-toe with the S4 Mag sporting nitrous cams.

If I think about it after the Virginia ASA state championship this weekend I'll set my -Z to 27 inches and see what it does.