Thread: serveing a compound bow string

mudslingerz

Cool serveing a compound bow string

Hi ther guy's just a dumb question from a newbie to archery. I have a martin M-1 tiger compound bow that I recently bought used. I had to replace the sting. But as you can imagine with a bow this old I could not find one locally. But I was able to watch a few videos on u tube and disasembled a new string and made a jig to make a string at the proper length for my bow. I'm not sure how much of the string to serve. I'm using a release & d loop. Just wondering if I serve all of the string is a bad idea or if I should just serve as much as the new string had before taking it a part. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read or answer this thread.

SonnyThomas

Default serveing a compound bow string

To me factory center servings seem too long. I serve my 3D bow 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" on either side of of the berger hole, arrow at right angle to string and centered to the berger hole. Basically, I don't want any more weight on the string than I have to.

Destroyer

Short but fast stuff Sonny.

The standard is 6" these days but some prefer to go to 8" on old Dacron strings. Longer is a bit slower but stays in place better. Tradition plays a part too. But I would serve to the same as the original and yes serving all the string is a bad idea.