Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '09 warthog

Post Thanks / Like

Default '09 warthog

I was reading on another thread of someone having trouble with their bow after martin worked on it and I thought I was alone. I sent my warthog in because of limb problems and lack of speed. They put all new '10 limbs and cams on it and with the limb bolts all the way down and my 385gr arrows with 29" draw length I was getting 310 out of it compared to 290 I was getting before. still seems a little low to me but maybe not I can live with that but when I put my Qad hunter rest on it and my haa sights to paper tune it I had a real bad right tare vain to the right of the tip. By the time I got it shooting straight I am about 1/2"of center of the factory rest on the grip and when I shoot it I can see the arrow moving around allot. I am shooting 5575 xt hunters with 100 gr tips. was wondering if you all had any advice also I am wondering if it sounds right that with the limb bolts all the way in I hardley get 70 lbs were before I got around 75-76? I am in no way trying to talk bad about martin I have just thought it was me and have been trying everything to get it to fly right. My arrows are hitting pretty good just not grouping as good as I was before.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the code written on the limbs?

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by cridertj View Post
    paper tune it I had a real bad right tare vain to the right of the tip
    Try raising your nocking point just to see and check for collisions with the rest. The 5575's (.340) would be under spined with cams @ 70lbs any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Try raising your nocking point just to see and check for collisions with the rest. The 5575's (.340) would be under spined with cams @ 70lbs any way.
    Actually I was going mto say that the 5575 are underspined for your setup, but be aware that they are not a .340 spine. They are a 400 spine. You would be well off to shoot the 7595 Gold Tip, which is 340, if you want to stay with GT or drop the bow weight down to about 65# or maybe even less.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    they are not a .340 spine. They are a 400 spine.
    Yeah my bad. Keep forgetting their rather stupid model numbering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Yeah my bad. Keep forgetting their rather stupid model numbering.
    Don't blame you. I think it's stupid, too. The 5575 is supposed to designate the weight you can shoot them at, but nothing says at what length or point weight, etc. And this designation came about long before these very aggressive cams we have today.

Frankly the only company that's has it right is Easton/Beman and the Gold Tip Ultralites. They have the spine deflection rating. The ATA should step in on this and make it a standard practice to put the actual deflection on the arrow and advertise them as such. It's way too confusing for new people. Us old timers have a hard enough time, but at least we know how to figure it all out---eventually.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    The ATA should step in on this and make it a standard practice to put the actual deflection on the arrow and advertise them as such.
    Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies and thanks for caching me on the gold tip and my son thanks you because he just got 6 more arrows.i got some new victory 350 i hope these are right and paper tuned again and got same results with the tare. my limbs are marked 5LC 5/10. it did help my groups with the right arrows though, could my form be causing the bad tares?

Post Thanks / Like

Form could for sure cause bad tears in paper.
    Have you shot field tips and broadheads out of it ? - if you hunt.
    If so, I would adjust the centershot and rest height to get the bh and fp to impact the same. If that works, dont worry about paper.
    Not sure if I understand in your last post about the centershot distance.
    If the center of your arrow is only 1/2" out from the riser - you should move the rest out to about 7/8"-15/16" and see how it shoots.

Destroyer

got some new victory 350 i hope these are right
    The victory 350's are .350 spine and are too light still. You need to be looking at .300 spine for 70# @ 29" with a hard cam. I'm using .340 spine on my Pantera @ 70# 29.5" and just spine ok with 100 grain heads. This is with the older M-Pro cam which is a very mild cam.

could my form be causing the bad tares?
    Like Spiker said, bad form can make bad tears too. You should get some tears that are right even with bad form if the spine is correct.