Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limb bolt length

tastefullyfatal

Default limb bolt length

i have a martin lynx magnum compound bow. I would like to know how long the bolts are to the limbs? The full length of the bolts not just thread length. Any info would be great..

Destroyer

Don't know sorry but why if you don't mind me asking? Did you loose a bolt or are you wondering if you can disassemble the bow without a bow press?

tastefullyfatal

well, neither. The bow should be able to be set at a 45 lb. draw weight. I've loosened the bolts to decrease the poundage, but it only helps slightly. I was just wondering how far i could loosen the bolts and still be safe. I just wanted to know how long the bolt actually is.

Destroyer

Should get about 3-4 lbs drop each turn. What is the peak weight?

tastefullyfatal

peak weight is 60. It should go down to 45 but i don't know how far to go out with the bolt. I need it to be 45 so I can shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

5 full turns of the limb bolts should make 15# less. You must make 1 turn on each bolt one after another.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    You must make 1 turn on each bolt one after another.
    I disagree. It should not be more than 10 turns per side though.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain why, Simon
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

There is no need to limit the revolutions to just one. As the barrel nut will turn inside the riser and the limbs are sitting in the limb cup on a ball the limb can handle also more revolution.

I chose 10 full revolution because it is possible that the limb is relaxing a little bit too much. I might not hurt at all but it is something noone needs to try out.
    Last edited by Montalaar; 07-18-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point! You're right, but i just prefer some extra security when i work on a bow for which i've given 520 euros And i always try to give equal number of turns on something with more then 1 bolt - a lesson from my grandfather