Thread: bow speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default bow speeds

was wondering for you that use a chronograph how much variance do you get while shooting? I am getting 4-14 depending on when i am shooting. I am pretty sure i am not creeping any but very unsure of what is going on.

Post Thanks / Like

With most of my old bows, I'd get a 4-7 fps variance. With my "09 Firecat, I'm actually getting a 0.4 variance. That's for a 6 shot string. Can't belive it's that close, but I have checked it several times. Shooting 317.8-318.2 for 6 arrows.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by cridertj View Post
    I am getting 4-14 depending on when i am shooting
    In the same session you get 4 to 14 fps difference or you get the variance on different day's that you shoot? Lighting conditions can effect it but so can the individual quality of the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

My chronograph rounds off to whole numbers, and during a series of 10-20 shots, I'll typically see a couple shots +/-2 fps off my average.
    I know my complete arrows are not identical in weight, varying up to 4-5 grains for about 1fps of that rounded number, and my draw/release may not be 100% exact every time, then the bow itself will probably have a little difference each shot.

I've checked a couple times to see what effect big temp/humidity changes might have.....like home during hot/dry mid July at 2700-3000 ft vs couple times I checked to see what happens during a cold/snowy late Nov hunt in the mtns at 6000+ ft, and seen about 5fps lower

Have seen some shots that dropped +/-10fps low, but that was often me punching the shoot and letting up just a little right at release, or the battery and/or lighting was getting weak and throwing some random off numbers.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

my readings are on different days with a lot different temp.

SonnyThomas

Default bow speeds

My target arrows are real close for weight, not varying more than 1 gr from lightest to heaviest. Readings might vary 1 fps, but then a lot of times I get the same reading and/or "Dup" showing. Anything beyonds this and I re-test and usually the reading falls in with the rest. Of course centering to the chronograph, the same distance and aiming at the same spot throughout gives better results.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by cridertj View Post
    my readings are on different days with a lot different temp.
    Ahh, not in the same session. Lighting and or temp could be the culprit. ProChrono?

Post Thanks / Like

ya the pro chrono are they a little touchy on lighting