Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fletchings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fletchings

I am having a problem with broadhead planing. I'm shooting a 2009 Firecat, 28 1/2 draw, 68#. 363 gr. arrow (Victory NanoForce) small diameter arrow. I have them fletched with 2 inch quick spins. Shooting around 315 fps. Been shooting Shuttle T Locks and Slick Tricks, and both are planing about 8 inches or so at 20 yards. No rest or clearance problems. Wondering if I need more fletch at this speed for a fixed blade head, or should I just switch over to an expandable? Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Destroyer

You could try your 2" in a 4 fletch, might help. Over 280 fps is usually mechanical head territory any way. The other thing is to go for a heavier shaft. 363 grains is too light for your 68# bow imho. I would be looking for at least 400+.

Mechanical heads? Personally I don't like them at all.

Post Thanks / Like

how heavy are your BHs?? are they lined up with your fletchings?? did you test spin the arrows and heads to make sure the spin good together?? have you paper tuned the bow w/ and w/out the BHs?? just a few guesses.....
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saggitarius

I'm shooting 100 gr. heads. Everything is lined up and tuned. Arrows spin true with the heads. I've paper tuned the bow out to 40 yards, and get perfect tears at that distance. Haven't paper tuned with the broadheads though, only field points..

Post Thanks / Like

try this site?? if it doesn't help try the mechanical??

http://www.redhawk-archery.com/bh-tuning.php
    09 Bengal 29" @ 68#
    Truglo 5 pin
    Trophy Taker Extreme
    NAP Nightmare 100grn
    Blackhawk Vapor Pro 3000 265grn

Post Thanks / Like

What spine arrow, and what is the FOC?

Sounds similar to problems I was having with a set of arrows a while back. Field points flew fine, but broadheads planned up/right bad. Found my arrows were slightly weak spined (400 in my case) AND my front of center balance was below 10% (I have some now at 10.5% that fly good, but I typically prefer +/-12%)
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

SonnyThomas

Default Fletchings

First, 2" Quick Spins are more than enough for normal conditions.
    Victory Nano Force doesn't tell of what spine - too weak and possible erratic results with either field points or fixed broadheads. And Yes, 363 grs seems on the light side for 315 fps.
    At one time the limit for fixed broadheads was 260 fps. Today, with careful work, 300 fps is rare to be able to control.
    Paper tuning fixed broadheads isn't recommended. BUT, tuning field points and fixed broadheads is a option. First, most arrows shot out of badly setup bows will correct themselves after a few yards, so don't go beyond 20 yards to start. 15 yards might be better to start.
    Select 3 field point arrows and three fixed broadheads. Shoot the field points first to establish point of impact. Shoot the broadheads next. Note point of impact. If grouping high of field points, lower rest or raise nocking point very slightly. Opposite for broadheads impacting low. If impacting right, move rest slightly to the left. Opposite for broadheads impacting left. After getting good results try a longer distance.

Personally, field points flying great, I'd go with mechanical broadheads. I use the N.A.P. Shock Wave 100 and have had great success - 32 deer in 10 years and no failures.

Another personal thing. I don't believe in to tune for field points and fixed broadheads and some of the top hunters don't either. They tune for fixed broadheads and set their sights for them. To go with this would be you, yourself. What do you shoot most, 3D, practice, paper or just hunt? If you hunt only a few days out of the year, why waste all that time and effort to tune your bow for both field points and fixed broadheads?

Post Thanks / Like

The shafts are spined for 60/75#. Figured that since I'm shooting 68#, and 100 gr. heads, this should work fine. Wouldn't paper tuning show signs of a weak spine when tuning at different distances? I thought about a heavier arrow for hunting, but the target penetration I'm getting out of these arrows looks like it should work really well for hunting. Getting 10-12 inches of arrow out the back side of a McKenzie Tuff Buck 2 target at 50 yards with field points. I can only imagine broadheads would be out even farther.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 07-22-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Wouldn't paper tuning show signs of a weak spine when tuning at different distances?
    Not always. The vanes straighten out the shaft quickly so further out will show less problems.

A heavier arrow for hunting will slow your bow down so planning won't be such a problem. The bonus will be a arrow with more momentum, a more stable arrow, quieter bow, and maybe a longer lasting bow too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    ......quieter bow, and maybe a longer lasting bow too.
    Especially the latter.

I'm not familiar with Victory arrows, so looked them up. You mention spined for 60/75lbs, but which arrow 400 or 350? .....what length? ......and do your arrows have the outserts?

I had access to OnTarget2 program, so put in your bow and given specs. To get close to the weight/fps mentioned, I came up with a short 27" Victory 350 arrow, quick-spin vanes, 27.0gr outsert w/100gr pt.
    This calc'd out to 364.5gr with an FOC of 14%, which eliminates my thought of that being too low, that with a few tweaks I got this arrow guess to show 314.5fps.
    The program "Spine Match" showed it on the bottom end of acceptable spine for a target arrow and on the weak side for a hunting arrow.

Of course that is just the program calculated guess, but I've found this one to be fairly on.

Might try backing off the draw weight 5lbs and see how the arrows react. If it is a weak spine issue, that should be enough to show it.......arrow speed would probably still be in the low 300's
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove