Thread: single cam v dual cam

Post Thanks / Like

Default single cam v dual cam

I shoot a Prowler SE single cam(2003 model). I just had it restrung at my local bow shop and they advised me that it is probably time to upgrade to a newer bow. They told me because my draw length is only 26" I should avoid using a single cam bow, so I'm looking at a Firehawk mag to upgrade with. Has anyone else with a shorter draw length like mine been told this or have had a problem with speed out of a single cam (my prowler crono speed was only about 190 with easton 2219 xx75 aluminum and a little over 200 with 400 gr carbon arrow).
    Last edited by dragonsfire311; 07-21-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There used to be an axiom bordering on fact that a single cam bow vs. A dual cammed bow was less efficient once the draw length dropped below 29" or so. However if your bow shoots well for you and you like it disreguard his comment...he probably just wanted to make a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

It shoots very well up to about 30 yards. I bought a new trophey ridge alpha v5 sight for it this year however I can not get the sight to work with bow. I had it bottomed out as low as I could get it and still have fletching clearence and the bow was still shooting about a foot low at 15 yds and about a foot and a half at 20 yrds. Another reason they recommended an upgrade to a newer bow.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsfire311 View Post
    They told me because my draw length is only 26" I should avoid using a single cam bow
    Not bad advice really. Dual/Hybrid cams are faster than single cam bows period, that's why they told you to stay clear of them. For every inch of draw length shorter, you loose about 10 fps so @ 26" you will loose 40 fps. So faster the better at your draw length.

I had it bottomed out as low as I could get it and still have fletching clearence and the bow was still shooting about a foot low at 15 yds and about a foot and a half at 20 yrds.
    Are you using a release aid or finger release?

And you can move your peep up to lower your anchor point and this will give you more range with the current setup.

Post Thanks / Like

release aid, haven't shot fingers in years but i'm not useing a string loop, still attaching to string. would a loop help?

Destroyer

still attaching to string. would a loop help?
    Will definitely help with your range problem.

SonnyThomas

Default single cam v dual cam

It shoots very well up to about 30 yards. I bought a new trophey ridge alpha v5 sight for it this year however I can not get the sight to work with bow. I had it bottomed out as low as I could get it and still have fletching clearence and the bow was still shooting about a foot low at 15 yds and about a foot and a half at 20 yrds. Another reason they recommended an upgrade to a newer bow.
    Seems as if your peep is too low. On all my bows (38 to 41" ata) the peep is 6 to 6 1/4" from the arrow, measured from top of arrow nock to center of peep. The difference comes from which release I use, index, thumb or back tension.

I try to upgrade my target bows year to year, but my 2000 camo bow gets the call for deer hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks for the input, I moved my peep up an inch and put the trophy ridge sight back on. now about an inch left and 2 inches low of the heart on target just some fine tunning to go and still have to put loop on. Thx.

Destroyer

Good stuff. Hopefully you will be able to use the 'old' bow still. Not that old really.

Post Thanks / Like

No its not that old but still thinking about the firehawk for the dual cams, will keep prowler for a back up after this season. I might need to switch arrows to gain a little more speed from prowler, I'm slow to change still shooting easton xx75 2219 aluminum shafts. Heavy for my setup (26" draw length and about 63# draw weight) but hit the target hard at short and medium range with 100 gr crimson talon's. Again thx to all for input, it helped out.
    Last edited by dragonsfire311; 07-24-2010 at 06:24 PM.