Thread: moab cam...where should it be

pscm

Default moab cam...where should it be

I just recently changed my string and needed to put twist in the cable to get my
    ATA correct as I was close to a 1/4 inch long and the draw weight was about 5 pounds shy with limbs maxed out. My question is now that I have done this I question if I also need to put twist in the string. The draw length is acceptable though I question where the lower cam position should be. I can't seem to find any information on this. Do I need to worry about this as cam timing is not so much an issue with single cam bows?

Destroyer

As long as there is about 1/2" of string groove showing on the cam it should be fine. Timing is still a bit of an issue, a over rotated cam can be hard to tune and sometimes noisy.

Post Thanks / Like

There are varying points of view on this subject including some who state that a different cam rotation is required for the M Pro cam to the one which followed, the M2 cam.

The advice from Destroyer is probably on the mark and I would add to that, simply apply the trial and error factor, just be careful not to over rotate and leave too little string groove as you could derail your rig.

I have a 29" DL and M2 cam with bow very close to specs, and I've found the ideal string groove measurement to be just shy of 3'4".

Best of luck.

Destroyer

Actually, that should of been at least 1/2". But gibson 787 is correct, the trial and error factor.

pscm

Can someone clarify by what you mean by string groove? Would I be right in assuming the upper & outside portion of the cam which when looking from the back is pointing towards the upper limb? (The ear lobe if you will)

Post Thanks / Like

The groove that the string is in. look at where it ends - the machined part.
    From there to where the string looses contact with it is the measurement your looking at.
    Check pic on the thread - Pantera cam timing...

pscm

We are on the same page. I checked my cable and string lengths today. My cam is in the same spot as the pic of the pantera. From what I can see one would have to adjust the cable. Is this correct? I find it odd that I would have to take the cable shorter than spec. Also, any idea on how many twists it would take take 1\4 inch away?

Post Thanks / Like

Try 2.5 twists in the cable to begin with. Take a dozen shots and check it. You should have a pretty good idea where you stand after that.

pscm

Thanks for the help for those that answered. I had a hard time convincing myself that I had to put so many twists in the cable to get the cam in the correct location. If I were to guess the cable length may have been made a touch long though it was to spec. Imagine how when I got the cam timing correct that the ATA was right on.

Now for the final question, I notice the lower cam rides pretty close to the Left limb fork. Is this common? Doesn't seem that the limb forks are offset to create
    any lean. I also notice that the left side has a thin spacer and the right has a thicker. Simply logic would seem that everthing would ride nicer if these were equal.

Destroyer

About the cable lengths, put as many twists as you need to. The cam spacers? My pantera is the same and I'm guessing so is every other bow. Don't worry about it.