Thread: 60lb(max) bow vs 70lb(max) bow FPS comparison

Hybrid View

Timbo

Default 60lb(max) bow vs 70lb(max) bow FPS comparison

I have what may be condsidered a dumb question but, being a beginner, it's worth the humiliation it might bring with it. Does a bow that has a max of 60lb pull shoot at the same speed of an identical bow that has a max of 70lb pull with both set at 60lbs - or - Since it is designed for a lower max would you be forcing the arrow faster do to it being at the max range of the bow?

Destroyer

Will a bow will shoot the fastest at its peak weight? It can because at its peak weight the brace height is at its lowest, and power stroke at its longest. Does it always? No. Can I prove that? No, unless someone would like to sent me two warthogs @ 60# and 70# so I can get some data.

Personally, if I want say a 60# bow, I would still order a 65# or 70# and wind it back a few turns. Always good to go heavier if needed (or my shoulder tolerates it) and the limbs might last a bit longer. Will it shoot faster that way? Possible from what I have seen.

Btw, not a 'dumb' topic at all. Quite interesting really.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many that say a compound bow will shoot better at it's maximum weight, that is with it's limbs wound down to the max.

In my experience, i've found this to be not true. I purchase bows that have 70# limbs, but shoot at around 65#. Importantly, when I tune them, I tune them at 65# not at 70#. I know there are also many that say tuning should be done with the bow at it's max, but having tried both ways, I find that tuning at the weight you are going to shoot your bow, produces the best results.

I know this is not answering your question exactly as you asked, but seeing as our mate Destroyer has already done that, I thought I might pass on a bit of info that might help you. And never think any question is dumb, we were all beginners once, so ask anything you want, there's plenty of good people here a lot smarter than me!

Welcome to archery

Destroyer

There is an test on 'Budget Bows' in an older Bowhunting World mag showing the difference. Some are faster @ 70# down to 60# but some were not. I'll have to dig it up.

Timbo

An article or test report would be a good read. I appreciate the help so far. I have an issue with my shoulder and I truly believe 60 will be the max I will pull after rehab. Currently pulling around 53lbs and working up on the 60lb max bow but my wife is wanting to buy me another bow. How can I argue with that?

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    my wife is wanting to buy me another bow. How can I argue with that?
    You cant argue and you shouldn't! Listen to your wife and get a new bow, NOW!!!

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Currently pulling around 53lbs and working up on the 60lb max bow
    This is the most important factor. If you think 60# will be the max you will be able to shoot then get a 60# bow. Wind it down to what you are using now. 65# or 70# down to 53# is a bit much. With 60# you have plenty of speed for any animal out to 38 yards and further. Just remember what traditional hunters use.

Which bow? My rule is let the budget decide. Will you buy new everything? What about the Cheetah? Looks good.

In the end I would rather be able to shoot a bow than worry about speed or what the # rating is. You could always get new limbs down the track if you need to go heavier.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.