Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60lb(max) bow vs 70lb(max) bow FPS comparison

Timbo

Martin is fine with me. I'm not the picky type.
    27" Draw. Single cam please.

Post Thanks / Like

In this case:
    FireCat TR1 as a Pro Series bow

Pantera or bengal as a Gold Series.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Timbo

Thanks. I have heard a few Bengal lovers rave so I might lean toward it.

guntercb

Timbo,

Regarding if you should buy a 60 or 70 lb max bow. I think you need to look at what type of shooting you will be doing? Will you be hunting? Do you have or will you be getting a range finder? I personally am not very strong and I bought a 60 pound max bow.

I have it set around 55 pounds draw and find it a pleasure to shot. If I turn the poundage up, I cannot shot very accurately. I also hunt whitetails in very forested areas and do not have a range finder and I can only estimate distance out to about 25 yards accurately. So I don't anticipate long shots and do not think the lower weight hurts me at all, matter of fact I know it helps me.

Now if I was going to go hunt Elk or bear and needed the KE than I would look at shooting heavier. Or if I had a range finder and was hunting spots where I could shoot long range (above 40 yards) I might look at a heavier draw weight bow to just help out a bit. But really if you look at trajectory tables for an arrow traveling 260 fps versus 280 fps you have to ask if drawing the extra weight is worth it. Do some research, shoot some bows, it is a personal opinion.

Good luck,
    Chris

Timbo

Many good points Chris. I will be hunting for whitetail in WV and some target shooting so long range shots will not present themselves as they would out west. I too have doubts on long shots since I do not have a range finder. But, I just worked a deal with my boss to let me shoot on weekends here at work which will give me practice up to 38 yards so that will be the farthest I will send an arrow once I get more pratice in. Right now I only have one pin sighted in at 20 yards and am hitting a 3" cirlce 4 out of 5 times with the 5th being only so slightly out of the circle.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Currently pulling around 53lbs and working up on the 60lb max bow
    This is the most important factor. If you think 60# will be the max you will be able to shoot then get a 60# bow. Wind it down to what you are using now. 65# or 70# down to 53# is a bit much. With 60# you have plenty of speed for any animal out to 38 yards and further. Just remember what traditional hunters use.

Which bow? My rule is let the budget decide. Will you buy new everything? What about the Cheetah? Looks good.

In the end I would rather be able to shoot a bow than worry about speed or what the # rating is. You could always get new limbs down the track if you need to go heavier.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

On the 60lb bow set at 60, vs 70lb bow set at 60, something I have found on my bows in past years, is that most have generally shot quieter at or near peak weight than they did at the lower end of the draw weight range.

As for the FPS comparison in question, I have shot a couple older Firecats one 80lb max at 69lbs and one 70lb max at 69lbs. Using same arrow, the 70 set at 69 did shoot a couple fps faster, but you might find that difference between two matching bow set the same.
    I ended buying the 70lb (still have it and still set at 69lbs) because it felt better shotting and seemed quieter.

FYI: On budget single cam bows, I've really been happy with the Bengal I bought last fall.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Timbo

RLW, Thank you for that answer. After all the great info from the others you capped it by hitting the nail on the head. Funny you would add your feelings on your Bengal since that is one of the two I am currently obsessing over. The other would be the Bear Charge or Strike.

Destroyer

The only thing I don't like about the Bear is needing a bow press.

Timbo

So I guess that is one more vote for the Bengal.?.