Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a new string?

guntercb

Question Do I need a new string?

I have been having issues with strings on my Martin Pantera. I first had to an issue with the string fraying around the idler wheel. Martin sent me a new string and a new idler wheel. Great customer service!

After getting my bow set up with the replacement string, I noticed that my center serving was slipping so I went to a bow shop in town to get them to put a new center serving on my bow. Then this evening I was shooting my bow and noticed that where the string comes off the idler wheel towards my nock that three of the strands in the string are loose. I do not see any broken strands, but these three stands are are not tight against the other strands in the string.

Is it safe to shoot the bow like this?

Is this typical for factory strings?

If I buy an after market string will this "cure" my string issues or could there be some deeper issue with my bow?

I have 2 months till archery opens and not enough time. I am either going to sell my bow and get another or get a new string. I just hope I make the right decision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

pscm

Chris,
    Manufacturer strings are ok though I see a many complaints about Martin strings. I just changed my Moab string which was made by JBK. ($55 shipped) I to was seeing similar issues. I had JBK put serving where there was non and I felt there should be. Worth every penny.

I think you probably have a few issues going on. I have quickly found out that your idler wheel lean has to be set to get the most clearance on both sides of the cam where the string rides while not introducing to much lean that will lead to other issues. This is done by adding twists to split ends of the cable. One must be careful not to get to much split in the limb ends where they split cable attaches. To put this in perspective..push on only one side of the limb where the wheel axle goes through. You will notice how the wheel will lean.

Hope this helps.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by guntercb View Post
    Is this typical for factory strings?
    No.

If I buy an after market string will this "cure" my string issues
    Yes but you should ask for another string from Martin first.

could there be some deeper issue with my bow?
    Probably not. They have been issues with string wear here.

I am either going to sell my bow
    I would try a new string first.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 07-30-2010 at 10:12 PM.

oncechance

Like in some previous posts, you should have the area that rolls over the idler wheel served. Why Martins doesn't do this with their strings is still a question, but it will help. While you are at it, have the area served at the CCS. I have had some issues even after the serving, but mine was due to being left handed. Martins put a bevel on the new 2010 idler wheels but if you are left handed the string is pulled to the opposite side of the bevel and I had to put a bevel on that side. Good luck.

guntercb

pscm,

Thanks for the update. I agree, I would like to serve the idler and other areas like the CCS.

Destroyer,

I may call Martin and request another string. It will be my third. Their customer service seems great so I am sure they will send me another. My issue is a time, I want it cured. Do you truely think the third time will be the charm?

For giggles, I will call Martin on Monday and see about getting a new string. But I don't want to have to redo the center serving. That cost me over 20 bucks at my local shop and my string still has issues. )-:

oncechance,

I 100% agree there should be some extra serving on the strings and cable.

Everyone,

Update, I carefully checked my string this morning and the threads do not appear broken. It seems that just some of the threads in the string were longer than the other threads and so they just stick out a bit. It seems that the the majority of the threads in the string would need to stretch before these few longer threads take any load.

Destroyer

Do you truely think the third time will be the charm?
    Hopefully yes! Its good for Martin to hear if ppl have problems. Your call might just help everyone out too.

guntercb

Destroyer,

Martin is sending me a third string. The CS at Martin is great! Also, talking to Martin Archery it sounded like they have made some changes to their strings so my third string might actually be made differently. I hope so!

I also am going to order a custom string, I believe from JRH60 on Archery Talk. I figure I will go ahead set up the Martin string shoot it a bit then put on my custom string and I will have my Martin string as back up. I am curious to see how my third string will stack up to a custom one.

Cheers,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyer,

Martin is sending me a third string. The CS at Martin is great! Also, talking to Martin Archery it sounded like they have made some changes to their strings so my third string might actually be made differently. I hope so!

I also am going to order a custom string, I believe from JRH60 on Archery Talk. I figure I will go ahead set up the Martin string shoot it a bit then put on my custom string and I will have my Martin string as back up. I am curious to see how my third string will stack up to a custom one.

Cheers,
    Chris
    I have JRH's strings on 2 of my bows and another set coming from him.
    His strings have been great and He is a great guy.

Destroyer

I figure I will go ahead set up the Martin string shoot it a bit then put on my custom string and I will have my Martin string as back up.
    Good stuff Chris, good plan. It will be interesting to hear what you think of both strings, never heard of JRH's strings, good to have another choice.

guntercb

Spiker,

Thanks for the feed back on JRH. It is good to know that you like his product!

Destroyer,

I have been doing some reading on many forums and know that JRH makes strings, but I never see where he pushes his product. I like that. Also, JRH has lots of helpful posts. JRH owns an archery store and he likes to help out, I appreciate that and want to spend my money with someone like that. JRH does seem to have a great following like Spiker who has purchased three strings from him. Also, JRH is a Martin dealer so he is familiar with my bow! I wanted a string maker that has handled my bow not one that has a spreadsheet of the "specs" for making a string. I should have my new string in about a week. I will let you know what I think when I get it.

Cheers,
    Chris