Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help!

Tom Ainsworth

Talking ...

well - I took the bow to the local sport shop and the fellow straightened me out. The peep was 180* out of whack - the peep was faced away from the bow just sitting there - he spun it around, shortened my draw length to the smallest setting - and I pulled that thing back - the peep lined up - the sight pin was perfect - - - I about danced in that place! So - I went home and shot - it seems now that I have everything set up correctly - tuned that is - I just have to shoot, shoot, shoot and get used to it. I think by the rut I will be deadly proficient - right now I can put a nice group at ~ 20 yards - all kills. But I will perfect things within the next few weeks. I do plan on migrating to a 4" fletch - that seems logical...

thanx for all the ideas and support!

Tom Ainsworth

Cool

Darren,

Thanks for all the info. I am finding out that things are becoming more stable as I shoot - - that is after the last adjustment to the peep and all was made. But - I am really pondering cutting an arrow or two down to see what effect it has - then perhaps try a 4" fletch. Now I have a question that I hope you or another very kowledgeable individual can answer - the 2219 easton stalker - how many grains per inch? I know I have to shoot a total weight (broadhead/field tip) of 350 grains - the tip is 100 grains - If I cut off an inch or two, how many grains does that equate to? Is there a scale that I can buy that will not rip a whole in my wallet? Or is that something you take to the local sports store? Or is there concrete data somewhere that I can glean the info from...

thanks gain for everything...

Tom

dgmeadows

Default With 2219s, no worries about going under 350 grains...

Per info on the Easton web site, the 2219 is 13.8 grains per inch, so a 29 inch shaft alone will weigh 400.2 grains.... add a 100 grain point, aluminum insert, vanes & nock, and you've got one heavy projectile, probably over 550 grains. If the front-of center balance is good and you can resolve vane clearance issues, it would be more quiet at the shot and more stable in wind than the lighter weight alternatives, but your pin gap (i.e. arrow drop) will be much greater.

Compare the grain weight to the 2413 at 10.7 grains per inch, for a 29 inch shaft weight of 302. Once you add your inserts, vanes, nock and point, your total arrow weight will still exceed 400 grains easily - still well over the 350 minimum.

Even my Easton Carbon Epic 400s (last year's model) at 8.17 grains per inch easily clear the 350 grain mark - they're about 375 total. Plus, my current bows actually top a bit under 70 pounds (66 & 68) so I've got some added margin of safety there. I don't try to flirt with the IBO/warranty minimum, but I do like to have as flat a trajectory as possible, so range estimation errors are less critical.

With 2413s, I had pins at 20, 30 & 40 yards. With Epic 400s, they're a touch closer together and set at 25, 35, 45 (plus 55 & 65, but I haven't found anywhere in the woods in GA you can actually have a clear 65 yard shot with a bow. )

I would definitely try cutting a couple of those 2219s down 2 - 2 1/2 inches first - it would certainly have to improve the FOC balance, not to mention take 30+ grains right off the top

Good luck with the tinkering - I think I enjoy that as much as the hunting. If I don't respond to this thread within a day or two, shoot me a PM, I sometimes forget to check this board every day.

Darren