Thread: Need help asap???

boatguy

Default Need help asap???

OK, brief history,,, shot 3-D for 7 yrs. back in the 90's and have always owned a Martin. Back then I used a Fury for 3-D and my Pantera with Z cams for hunting.

Retired from the military now and can hunt again. I have to update my string, sights, new arrows and stabilizer. I will be hunting deer, pig and turkey here in central FL.. My draw length is 33" pulling 65lbs and have a old 3-D rover arrow rest with 3" over draw on it that will stay on the bow. I've been out of the loop for over 10 yrs. now since all the wars while I was in... Need to know what carbon arrow to get (brand and weight)a very good site to put on, (for tree stand and ground) and the best stabilizer. I use a mach. release and I use to use mach. broad heads,,, so what do they have on the market now that are A+

Please help me out here,,,, I know I sound like a dumb *** but I've been out of the pocket for so long with the military and the season is about to start I don't have time to educate myself with the latest stuff. This will be the first time I've been able to hunt anything other then terrorist.

God Bless America, and thanks in advance....

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt the same area of florida, and use a trophy ridge alpha V5 sight. It is a vertical 5 pin sight and works well. I have mine set at 20 - 60 yards, shooting 70 lbs draw weight and 26 " draw length. Can't help on the arrows as I still shoot alum XX75 2219's but there are numerous persons on this forum that could probably recommend a good carbon shaft for you to use and thx for your service to this country and good luck this hunting season. I use crimson talon broadheads (spintite.com) and my daughter uses muzzy's, both work good.
    Last edited by dragonsfire311; 08-30-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    2003 Martin Prowler SE
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT
    Easton Arrows
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    QAD Rest
    Crimson Talon XT broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Boatguy,
    Welcome back, brother......my time was decades ago/Army/Viet Nam. Lost my Marine brother there....but that's another story.
    A good broadhead to use is the Muzzy....yeah, the same Muzzy you knew before. Stabilizers are your choice, but Octane makes some good ones as does Doinker (sp?).
    Anyway, welcome back to sanity......and yes, thank you for your service, brother......you done good!

Post Thanks / Like

Boatguy, thanks for serving our country, and welcome back. For arrows, I know alot of people shoot Gold Tip. I have had good luck with them, as well as Beman ICS arrows. They would be my top two picks for a good dependable arrow. For sights, I'm in love with my Cobra Boomslang 6 pin. They also make a 4 pin. Solid, quiet, and dependable. For broadheads, Muzzy is good I hear. I have been using Slick Trick Magnum broadheads for 2 years now, and love them. Very good flight, no planing, and tough. Shoot a deer, resharpen the edges, go shoot again. For stabilizers, I love a Doinker A Bomb against the bow, then anything that has a 4-6 ounce weight screwed into the Doinker. Leaves everything else I have tried in the dust. Totally dead shot, no vibration or noise. And not very expensive either. Hope this helps you out a bit. Once again, thanks for your service to all of us!
    Last edited by Ehunter; 08-31-2010 at 12:14 PM.

boatguy

Default Thanks

Well thank you all for your appr. to my service,,, it was an honor for me to have served....
    Got the bow re strung and bought some carbon exspress hunter maham 205 with the Rage 2" 100 grain mach. broad heads. and as for a sight,,, I took off the good ole "Keller" and ordered me a G5 Outdoors Optix XR2 sight. Once the sight comes in, I'll start shooting this old boy and rekindle the flame that has been smoldering deep within my sole to hunt!!! I love bow hunting, just hope I can hunt somewhere.... This place has grown so much since I left in 1988...
    Thanks again for all of your advice guys.....

Respectfully,

Mark Harrell
    USN
    NSW
    Retired

Post Thanks / Like

by boatguy "...just hope I can hunt somewhere.... This place has grown so much since I left in 1988..."

Depending on where you are in central FL, there are a lot of WMA's to hunt on that don't require a quota permit, if you don't mind public land, myfwc.com to check them out.
    2003 Martin Prowler SE
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT
    Easton Arrows
    Trophy Ridge Sights
    QAD Rest
    Crimson Talon XT broadheads

boatguy

Default Thanks

Thanks brother,,, that is what I've been doing..... I really don't have a choice at the time... but in the future will probably join a hunt club or something... Thanks....