Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pantera shoots great 1 question though

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Pantera shoots great 1 question though

Just got a new Pantera. 31" draw set at 70lbs. I am shooting incredible group out to 30yds but at 40 yds my arrows drop almost 3 ft. Any thoughts? This has me going absolutely crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Is everything set up in the way it should be?
    Is your arrow level when nocked onto the string? Do you get good arrow flight through paper or even more important: while tuning it with walk-back-tuning?
    Is the bow in spec regarding ATA and BH?
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Everything seems to be set properly. I think I am going to do the walk back again and see what's up. It is just very starnge that I can shoot such tight group out t o 30 and then have it act like this.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter25 View Post
    but at 40 yds my arrows drop almost 3 ft
    All your arrows or just some?

Post Thanks / Like

Every one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds a little excessive. Are you absolutely sure you aren't dropping your arm at the shot---consistently? Let eme ask this. Are you saying that shooting 40 yards with a 30 yard pin results in a 3' drop?

Now I have to take a trip to the archery club and see what I get with my FireCat, just for comparison.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

No, what I am asaying is that, where my 40 yd pin should be, I am 3' low. Now this is taking into account that there is the same space between all of my pins. If I were to move my 40 yd pin almost an inch, I can get on the target. I know that I am not dropping anything either. Any 1 of my other bows, I can shoot out to 50 yds without that much of a distance between pins. I haven't put this on a chrono yet, but I am sure that it is not that slow.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter25 View Post
    If I were to move my 40 yd pin almost an inch, I can get on the target
    An inch? Not good, not good. Pins should always gap a bit more the longer the distance but an inch is ridiculous. My 5 pins measures about 3/4", 20 to 60 yards. Either the speed of the bow is very slow (doubt it), there is something going on with your peep & sight setup (maybe), or there your bow is very badly tuned (possible).

Make sure that your first pin is at the highest point of the arrow arc, that all the following pins are on the drop. Your peep might be low as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check that. I am going to the walk back again tomorrow and will make sure everything is OK first as well as a papertune then if it is still not right we are going to take a trip back to the shop. Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like

Notdoubting you, but I did go shoot my bow today. Soemtimes I just have to do things to remind myself of the ralities of gravity or some other detail that I haven't checked for several years.

Anyhow, my Alien Z is backed down to a rediculous point and I'd guess it's speed right now is somewhere around 250 to 260fps. I do have it sighted in with a Spot Hogg Hogg-It. This sight is on a 6" extension from the riser.

Shooting 40 ysrds and paying attention to the position of my 30 yard pin ti appears to be about 8" to 9" above the bullseye. That's a far cry from the 3' you're getting.

Here again, the farther the sight is from the bow the larger the gap between pins, and as Destroyer said, pin gaps get progressively larger as the distance increases. Still, the 30 yard and 40 yard pin have less than
    1/4" between them.

I know I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know. Let's just say it's information for some less knowledgable people to read. I honestly don't have an answer for your problem. If you know you're not dropping your bowarm then it is probably equipment related. Maybe some odd instance of your rest not raising all the way (drop away?) when you aim that far, who knows.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver