Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAGE 2 broad heads

J758

Default RAGE 2 broad heads

I have a friend that bought rage 2 heads gave me one to try. I shoot magnus stinger buzz cuts! (85) grain and got a complete pass through resulting in massive blood trail and a harverst. I think it doesn't matter what head u use right? A well placed shot will do it every time! I was thinking yeah 2 inch cut. Wait untill one of those 2 inch blades open early resulting in loss of arrow speed and a arrow off the mark or one of those cheap blades get in to some thick bone. Then what? NOT TO MENTION there is a chance the blades may or maynot work right. Haveing said that why would u buy something like that? If they didn't work well why they keep changeing them. Year after year it seems the major BH don't change much? Do they. I've done a little research. But I'm to the point now I just started thinking about BH. October 2 opening day. I've SHOT thousands of times before I even considered trying a BH. 100 times a dayor so since last january. I was just wanting some input on these from people that know what the hell they are doin. I'm still new but not totally green.

Destroyer

Heard good things about the rage's, real advantages to mechanical's especially at higher fps, easier tuning, etc. Bad points, too expensive for me and I don't think you can resharpen them. I don't thingk accidental opening is a problem these days but I can't say for sure, cheapo heads maybe. Cut on impact heads are harder to tune (at high fps) but penetrate better, some you can reuse as well.

It does matter what head you use, its the killing part of archery and that's very important.

SonnyThomas

Sounds like you're up in the air over something you don't all that much about.
    First, the Rage 2 blade is pretty highly regarded and considered better than the 3 blade. Mechanical broadheads must have a certain amount of horsepower behind them. Rage, however, has come out with a low poundage 2 blade head, 40 KE. Personally, 32 deer have fallen to my mechanical NAP Shock Wave 100s and no failures whatsoever. The Shock Wave has not changed since introduced.

Of blades opening, most all mechanical heads are tested to withstand the force of 300 fps. There is hardly any velocity lost to the blades being open and if the bow is setup properly there is no accuracy loss. I have personally tested mechanicals with the blades purposely left open and can say they work.

Since around 1999 there have many mechanical and fixed broadheads introduced. And, by and large personal preference depends on any broadhead remaining on the market. Incredibly great broadheads have gone by the way just because the public wouldn't accept them. The NAP Braxe broadhead is a fairly new fixed broadhead, but so radical looking people are skeptical about them. I tested these radical Braxe broadheads. One head smashed through three 1/4" pieces of plywood, shot 30 times from 15 to 40 yards and possessing great accuracy and then smashed through the three 1/4" pieces a second time without failure and no broken blades. I consider this outstanding and the Braxe was to pulled from the market this year.

The Magnus Stinger Buzz Cut 85 gr is a broadhead I really don't care for. By standards 100 gr is considered the minimum to use, not that 85 grs won't get the job done. One thing bowhunters look at is FOC. 10% FOC is said needed to stabilize fixed broadheads. The much acclaimed Carbon Express Maximas have built in weight forward technology to maintain FOC. I don't care for them, but today's archers are buying it. So 85 gr. may be lowering FOC and then lowering the weight of the arrow, thus robbing the arrow of momentum, moving weight that drives the arrow deep or through the deer.

You asked.....
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 10-09-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    There is hardly any velocity lost to the blades being open
    Mechanical broadheads must have a certain amount of horsepower behind them
    Some loss me thinks Sonny.

J758

Thanks! Sonny and destroyer! Have one to try! Gonna give it a chance. I really like the magnus BH though. The 85 grain head got the job done for me. I also got another set of arrows with muzzy 125s and xx75 aluminum arrows for back up. Right now I'm shootin goldtips. Total grain is 381.

Post Thanks / Like

im not really sure of what you want to know. are you bashing rage or just wondering about them outloud? i know a person who constantly kills deer and hogs with rage 2 blade, so many in fact this person gave me some for christmas because i kept asking about them(at least thats why i think i got em.lol.). it was a 3 pack and it came with a practice head. i shot one of the regular heads and the practice head over the summer into my broadhead target. i have had zero problems, i did rotate the o-ring about once a day and replaced it about everyweek. my friend has never had any problems either and alot of the kills have been taped. this person never uses the same head twice, but this person has rage as one of their sponsers. im a thunderhead 125 guy myself, but this year im shooting rage just because of all the footage ive seen and good things ive heard. hunting season just started, so stay tuned. i also know tom miranda shoots rage 2 blade, ive seen plenty of his shows and let me tell you, blood bath. it (as usual) comes down to what your comfortable with. my advise would be, if you dont feel rage it gonna come thru for you, dont shoot them, stick with the buzzcuts. good luck.

SonnyThomas

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Some loss me thinks Sonny.
    Some, not much. I did say; "hardly." What it is, the blades of a mechanical aren't don't have the mass of fixed broadheads and don't have near the "wind planing" traits. It sure looked like the ones I tested went through (completely through) the 3D target as fast as the those closed.

Still, some mechanicals have me distrust them, but horsepower, speed at initial hit or weight behind the head and they work. Noted some time back by some high tech shooter was the need of some bows to launch the mechanical at 260 fps or faster. And then, at one time it was said that tuning a fixed broadhead for over 260 fps was impossible. Well, that might true for those in a "hurry up" to get things going, but I know some people that can tune a bow to shoot a spade, so to speak.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 10-10-2010 at 05:04 AM.

J758

No, not bashing just learning. I shoot 291 fps. So the head should preform. MY buddy gave me one to try. Shot it at my block. And wow! Just was wanting som good based knowledge from my fellow martin users. I feel BH are something that is earned to use. Can't just go out and buy BH and shoot a animal. I've shot a lot and harvested my first deer. Just want to give the game the up most respect. I too have seen videos and such of the rage 2 I wanted conformation from u guys after I shot it and then take to the woods! Thanks everyone for being such a help. I gotta bond with the magnus only cause I shot it a lot before huntin and killed a deer with it.

Destroyer

Still, some mechanicals have me distrust them
    Not surprising, the early ones were pretty bad. And they sell some rubbish on eBay. I'd give the rage's a go if they weren't so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by J758 View Post
    I gotta bond with the magnus only cause I shot it a lot before huntin and killed a deer with it.
    Stick with it then, if it aint broke........
    Last edited by Destroyer; 10-10-2010 at 05:24 PM.

SRT8Jeep

shoot rage two blades myself, great broadhead, like you mentioned, if a shot is well placed it doesnt matter, but the two inch cutting pattern really makes a difference on a well placed shot, i double lunged a doe last year at 33 yards and when she was opened up, there was absolutely nothing left. she dropped after 15 yards, and the blood trail was like a red brick road. anyhow, have shot these heads for awhile with no issues of premature opening and im shooting a tr1 @70# 30.5 DL approx. 308fps with a goldtip 7595 100gr two-blade rage.