Thread: Bows 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bows 2012

You are right, i am talking about 2012 bows.

Why?

Because i am really disappointed by the bows for 2011.
    What did we got? A couple of bows that are all the same. The specs are almost the same on all of those bows and there is even no difference between Pro Series and Gold Series any longer. It seems as if it is more important to find soem new Gadgets (TRG/SOS) instead of bring out a line of bows that can fit to anyone.
    And yeah, i am even more disappointed because the bow line is really unattractive for me as a monkey arm guy.

So here is what i am thinking about Compound bows for 2012. Just my opinion.

Martin Archery makes a difference between Pro Series and Gold Series. The bows should not only be labeled different but als have different specs and prices. There is no need to become a Pro Series dealer if you can sell Gold Series for the same price. And they even are the same. Some more difference would be great.

Next thing: Bow design.
    I like the design this year. It is a step up and it is a great one. The bows look really sleek and like a high quality product. But there is the one problem with the general design. Short ATA, short draws.

I think we should think about three general classes of bows.
    • Primary Target and long draw
    • Primary 3D/Hunting/Allround
    • Primary Hunting and short draw

What do i mean?
    We see bows with an AtA of 32" and less. Those bows are nice to shoot for short armed guys. At their maximum draw of 30" it can be really hard. I think it is great to have some bows for the shorter armed people and those folks who believe they need shorter AtA bows. But.. 2 or 3 should be enough. I consider those bows as 'primary Hunting'. With those modern Binary cams we have a draw range of 5". Those bows could give a draw range of around 23" up to 30" depending on the design. bows with an AtA of 34 and less should be here.

My second category is '3D/Hunting/Allround'. I am thinking of bows with an AtA of 34" up to 38". Those bows are easy to carry, give great stability even at longer drawlengths and are able to produce a decent speed as we have seen with the Warthog. Or the Alien Z. Those bows are a kind of allround bow. They can be used as a 3D or hunting bow and even as a Target bow for the shorter draw guys. Draw lengths around 27" up to 32" depending on AtA and Cam size. We have no bows from martin 2011 for this category.

The last category is Target and long draw. Those bows are becoming very rare these days and it is great that we have the ShadowCat here. Although i would really love to see a second Target bow. AtA around 39 or 40", made a Gold Series bow. THose bows could produce draw lengths of up to 33" allowing to be set up with a low letoff as it is preferred by many target archers. Those bows are not made to be carried to a treestand so weight does not matter. Those bows are also great for finger shooters and would be a great buy for them. many people think that 41.25" AtA is a bit too long so a second bow with a tad shorter AtA could be great.

And the best is: you could do this with really less effort. Think of three bow sizes (categories) all made out of three pieces. Every categorie could get one typical sight window that would be used for all bows of the category. Even then you have enough room for individual design as the most part of the bows is below the grip and above the sight window. Less costs, more effective.

Make around 7 bows, let's say there are some with a Single Cam option. Makes it a great line. In my eyes.

What do you think?
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish they'd make smaler modules or cams for bows such as the ShadowCat. I'd love a straighter riser bow with a draw somewhere in the 24" to 27" draw length range.

As much as I hate to say it Martin is trying to give the masses what they desire. 27" to 30" does fit probably 90% of the shooters out there. Simon, looks like the other 10% on both ends of the draw length spectrum have gottern left out----again.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Simon, looks like the other 10% on both ends of the draw length spectrum have gottern left out----again.
    As in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007. There was always ONE bow for the longer draws. Scepter or ShadowCat. But nothing compared to all those wonderful bows in 2006 or before. 8 or 9 different designs and all could be ordered with different limbs and cams. A diversity that was unique. And you wont get it in these days.

d00ud00u

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    The last category is Target and long draw. Those bows are becoming very rare these days and it is great that we have the ShadowCat here. Although i would really love to see a second Target bow. AtA around 39 or 40", made a Gold Series bow. THose bows could produce draw lengths of up to 33" allowing to be set up with a low letoff as it is preferred by many target archers. Those bows are not made to be carried to a treestand so weight does not matter. Those bows are also great for finger shooters and would be a great buy for them. many people think that 41.25" AtA is a bit too long so a second bow with a tad shorter AtA could be great.
    Definitely don't agree. Weigh matter at the end a shot serie, when your arm is getting tired. And like hunter target shooters aren't rambo-like guy, some are strong, some others not. I'm not. So I'd like a 38"-40" ATA with 7.5" or more BH for less than 4.5 lbs.
    I agree to have the choice between to target bow. A long and a longer for big guy. The first could also be a good allaround for hunters who prefer 38+" ATA.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. The ShadowCat is a tad too heavy for you. And i must admit that i like bows that are less heavy more than those alloy blocks sold by Hoyt. I agreee to a point that there could be an AtA around 39" with a weight of 4,2lbs or so. That should be pretty easy to do. A long riser (longest in industry) as used in the ShadowCat will always be heavy.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no need to become a Pro Series dealer if you can sell Gold Series for the same price. And they even are the same. Some more difference would be great.
    I definitely agree. The way it is now, who needs to buy the Firecat 400 when you can pay less and get the Silencer? And they are the same bow!!!
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

NeilM

Martin: PLEASE do not drop the ShadowCat any time soon. I have only just got mine and it is an excellent 3D finger bow and picks up nicely where other manufacturers have left off.

There are very few longer ATA, long draw bows left and I am really not very keen on the weight or look of the Hoyt's, so unless Bowtech reinvent the Constitution (which I doubt), the the SC becomes one of the last fast finger bows on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Neil, long time no read. How does your ShadowCat shoot? Have you got all the parts you need?

NeilM

Neil, long time no read. How does your ShadowCat shoot? Have you got all the parts you need?
    Yes, the parts arrived yesterday and took about 10 minutes to fit.

The ShadowCat shoots very well, despite being set up quickly and still needing some tuning. It is a very quiet, fast accurate bow and is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.