Thread: Split Yoke buss cable or slip yoke buss cable?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Split Yoke buss cable or slip yoke buss cable?

Just was wondering which cable was better for my 2010 Bengal.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Solid yoke.

A floating yoke will float and cause additional cable wear.

A solid yoke will give you the possibility to tune your cam and limb lean.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

SonnyThomas

Default Split Yoke buss cable or slip yoke buss cable?

A floating yoke is just that, a floating yoke. Hoyt is known has the largest maker of floating yoke bows. Pearson and a couple others also had floating yokes. Now, a floating yoke requires more additional build, labor and time - the initial cable and then the string that makes up the yoke. Evidently, Hoyt and Pearson believe in the floating yoke concept.
    Being on several archery websites, to my knowledge there hasn't been any reported wear to cables because the yoke is able to slip through the cable loop end. Slip is also a fleeting thing. The limbs equalize the yoke from the onset and really don't slip once settled in. Granted, it seems bows with floating yokes have a bit of cam or wheel lean, but not to the degree it is detrimental to accuracy or wear. Okay, the limb pressure is always present so how is it going to slip?

A static yoke is a fixed yoke, made up by dividing the buss cable. There are some bows with control cables with static yokes.
    Here, one is able to reduce or eliminate cam or wheel lean. BUT one has to think a bit and not all that much. If you twist up one side of the static yoke to correct cam or wheel lean you place more holding pressure on just those strands, not both sides of the yoke. All said and done, cam or wheel lean corrected, cam forced straight, cable running to the guide, how much more side pull/pressure is there? Cam or wheel > |. String to guide rod > \.

Bottom line; A floating yoke or static yoke is more a personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the solid yoke. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

You can ask to make one side of the floating yoka a tad longer than the other. This will help with tuning cam and limb lean by minimizing the problems with additional forces.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    You can ask to make one side of the floating yoka a tad longer than the other. This will help with tuning cam and limb lean by minimizing the problems with additional forces.
    You could, but the whole point of a floating yoke is that the cable will self center just from the vibration of shooting the bow. Without ever thinking about it I always liked the static yoke for being able twist one side to minimize cam lean. Thinking about it further I just wonder if with a floating yoke the cable will center itself according to the pressure on the limb forks which would eliminate limb twist at the forks. I guess there is merit in both systems. I just wonder which one would be better because no matter how you swing it the cable(s) are pulled to the side by the rod/slide or roller guard.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter which one a make. I made a static yoke and twisted up the one side a few times to get rid of cam lean. Which with if it was a floating yoke I would have less work. As far as I can tell the wear is minimal on a floating yoke as well. So maybe next time I will make a string and cable and try a floating yoke. thanks for all the input guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Just for your interest. Hoyt is not longer using floating yokes.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL