Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Deciding On New Bow

Golfbuddy45

Default Help Deciding On New Bow

Can anyone help me identify the year age of my old Ben Pearson Rogue? I have had it since I was a youngun many years ago. It has to be at least early 70's. I already have a great shooting '75 Martin Firecat with the black frame and black ProSeries limbs. I am thinking of selling or trading the Ben Pearson for a Target Competition Recurve in a lighter draw weight - maybe 30-35 lbs. I like the Martin Aurora but that is way more level than I need for target plinking. I do not hunt any more and think the old Ben P has good years left in her. It has some marks from use but in perfect working order and checked out at local archery shop. It is rated at 50 pounds and loads up very strong even for my burly arms. 58" amo, 50# @ 28" Ser# 77431-216

Last edited by Golfbuddy45; 09-22-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbuddy45 View Post
    Can anyone help me identify the year age of my old Ben Pearson Rogue?
    Archerytalk would be a better place to find out.

I am thinking of selling or trading the Ben Pearson for a Target Competition Recurve in a lighter draw weight - maybe 30-35 lbs.
    Don't no how much of a trade in you will get, eBay might be a better choice. Getting a 25# - 30# target bow is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a cheaper target bow (Samick, Mohegan, Perfect Line) and keep this beauty Don't know what it costs in USA, but i'd pay what the seller wants if it was here in Bulgaria.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Golfbuddy45

Default My Old Ben Pearson

Alex - those are amazing words to hear. Just for my information are these kind of bows not available in your country? We here in THE STATES sometimes do not understand what is available elsewhere.

I might post this on the ARCHERY TALK too as suggested by Destroyer.

Thanks

Destroyer

We here in THE STATES sometimes do not understand what is available elsewhere.
    Its really amazing to see what is available in the US, even just through ebay. So many bows.

Post Thanks / Like

Golfbuddy, finding OLD recurves is almost absolutely impossible here - as you may know we lived in a communistic regime from 1944 to 1989. A simple example what this means - you can buy bananas only one day in the year - 24th of December, this way the authorities help you not think about such disgusting capitalistic things like Christmas (you wait on a line for the bananas 6-8-10 hours, because they are sold only in one shop in the city) So no bows except those for the Olympic archery, which are not sold in the shops.
    Nowadays there are traditional bows of course, but archery isn't very popular and they are a few - Martin and Bear bows and some made in Korea and Germany. Also the cheaper ones from Taiwan.
    I guess you'll find this a little (or very) boring to read, but i couldn't explain it well if shorter
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Germany.
    Tell me more. Please.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    Tell me more. Please.
    I can't say much. The name of the bow i saw was Hunter, but am not sure about the maker. It is a take-down model for 180 euros and tell you the truth i was not impressed at all. I'm not even sure that such a bow can be made in Germany - it is sold in a gun shop and the salesman doesn't know much ... knows nothing of bows so may be he's wrong about the country where it comes from. The company has a website - the name is Vertex - you can have a look at it, but the last time i saw it there was no info about the bows they offer. Sorry, but now it's too late and i'm too sleepy to search it

Destroyer

Don't know it but it could be another 'made by ragim/samick' bow. Perhaps its a Chinese bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Samick does not longer produce wooden bows.

There is now company named 'Vertex' building bows in germany.

There is a company named 'Bearpaw' in germany. They sell loads of stuff to the US, too. Everything they produce is made in China.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL