Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for new limbs...

Compounded

Thumbs down Looking for new limbs...

Hi guys,

My alien x was dry fired about a month ago. I know, tragic...
    I just received some new cams and strings in the mail for it and had it all put back together by the fellas down at the archery shop.
    I get a phone call at about 2pm saying that the bow is ready to be picked up, BUT, it has some serious issues... My heart sinks... He goes on to explain that there is massive amounts of cam lean on my top limb due to the limb itself being twisted... Pretty crap...
    I went in and he took me out back to have a look. He said that when they first set it up and drew it back, one of the cables flicked out of the rail. He had to get another guy working there to get it back in before he could let the bow down.
    They then reversed the cables in the cable guard system. This, it seemed, alleviated some of the lean, though not entirely.
    He then told me that it may require new limbs, but to go home and try running a few arrows through it whilst wearing safety glasses
    I've done this, the bow didn't explode, but I'm still not sure about it...
    I'm a little apprehensive about using the bow with the lean that is still present. So, now I've decided to do some research into how much a set of replacement limbs will be.
    After this long narrative, my question is this: Where can I find these prices? The rytera and martin websites don't list limbs. If anyone has a ball park figure it would appreciated.
    Any other input too is welcome.

Warm regards!

Post Thanks / Like

Bfisher can say exactly the price and the item number, but my guess is they'll be around 200$. Are you sure the guys at the shop put together the bow correctly? Are they Martin dealers? And also have you noticed a limb twist before the dry shot?
    Last edited by alex; 10-28-2010 at 04:26 AM.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

A dry fire can do a lot of things, but it can't twist the limbs, anymore than it can get you pregnant!

I think the advice you got from your pro-shop was pretty bad. In fact, if you were injured after following it, they would be wide open for a lawsuit!

Your axle could be bent. Your riser could be bent. Maybe they just didn't put the bow together correctly.

If your limbs aren't cracked, or delaminated, and they were straight before the dry fire, then they are still straight now.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 10-28-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Copterdoc, may be if you've dry fired the bow while sitting on the toilet....
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a parts catalog for Rytera, but it should use the same limbs as the Martin line. You didn't say what year the bow is, but $200 is a good ballpark figure for new ones. Personally I'd give a call to Joel at Martin Warranty Service and discuss it with him.

My bet is that you'll get new limbs under warranty. He may tell you that you have to return to your dealer and have him handle it, but it's cheaper than $200, right?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Joan@Martin

Guys dry fire damage is not covered under warranty.

However, you could send the bow in to Martin after talking to Vince or Joel and Martin could work on the bow and get it back to good condition.

There is some charges involved with this option... the cost of new limbs if needed, other parts, and the shipping to and from Martin. Give them a call... I am sure something can be worked out.

timtim146

the thing is though if there is cam lean and the riser is not bent then you should be able to work it out by twisting your cables so yeah. maybe they put your strings on wrong and untimed

Post Thanks / Like

The Alien-X uses a slaved binary cam system. I don't care if they call it a hybrid cam. It isn't a hybrid cam system!

The cables are both attached to the cams at both ends. There is no adjustable yoke, or any way to laterally adjust the cams. Any cable twisting will only effect cam sync and timing.

I think it is more likely, that the Roto limb pocket is incorrectly installed, or the riser is bent.

Compounded

Is there a difference between the top and bottom limb pockets on these bows? Because that's the only way that they could be installed wrong. To me they look exactly the same.

Compounded

Is there any way to tell if it is the riser that is bent? I've had a close look at it and it does not look at all bent?