Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new limbs...

Post Thanks / Like

The limb pockets are the same, but they have to be seated on the limbs correctly.

The "Roto" part has a machined groove that needs to be seated correctly in the riser as well.

There are ways to tell if your riser is bent, but I can't possibly explain it without showing you in person.

Compounded

With the limb pockets being shaped the way they are, it would be very noticeable if they were not seated properly.
    The groove in which the stud of the riser fits is large, as is the stud. If they were not aligned, the bow would not go together, much like a jigsaw puzzle.

I think it may be one of three issues:
    1, Bent axle. Although i doubt it.
    2, The limb is twisted.
    3, The riser is twisted...

If the limb pockets are not in fact symmetrical, it could be that. Though, they do look to be.

I just need to find out which it is... If i had some spare limbs that would make a good eliminatory tool... Sadly, i do not...

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Compounded View Post
    but to go home and try running a few arrows through it whilst wearing safety glasses
    Stupid advice. Find a new shop.

Doubt very much that the limb is actually twisted. More likely that the limb is poorly aligned, this might be caused by the dry firing or could be the way its been put together too, the shop doesn't sound like they know much at all, giving the idiotic advice they did. Bent axle is easy to check. Wouldn't bother about riser alignment, if its bad the is nothing you can do about it anyway.

Lean can sometimes be fixed by changing the position of the wheel with different axle spacers. Perhaps the new cams are different in some way.

Some pics of the 'bad' lean would be useful.

Compounded

Hi destroyer,

The cams are the very same. The lean isn't only in the cam. As i draw the bow and watch the cam roll over, the limb twists. The twist isn't horrendous, though it is noticeable. As i said earlier the guys at the shop changed the way the the cables run through the guard system to counteract the lean, though it's still present.
    When i look down the limb from the front, there is an obliquity to it relative to the limb bolt. It's very slight, only 2 or 3 degrees.
    I'm apprehensive about ordering new limbs before I know exactly what the issue is.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm..

You said the lim twists as soon as the cam rolls over. Sounds like you have a wek part in the limb that will tiwst as soon as the force is moved from the string to the cable. This is what happens when the cams rolls into your let off.

Try to remove both limbs (you should be able to do this without problems) and then try to twist both ends of the limb fork. If you can do so with less effort you may have a limb problem. You can also check for a bent axle then!
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Compounded

Wow, I wish I knew that already! Sounds very plausible.

Just to clarify:

- As the cams roll over, the string is still taking the load up until just before let off where the force is transferred to the cables?

Would this weak spot be likely to fail? By that I mean should I be very worried about using the bow?

I ran about 40 arrows through it earlier today; the arrow flight was fine, as was the grouping (as fine as i can make it anywho). There was no excess vibration or funny sounds. So, it SEEMS fine, but I don't really think I can afford to lose an eye in this lifetime...

Thank you for your input!

P.S. I have some spare axels I'll throw on it as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like

The advice to wear eye protection isn't stupid at all. The stupid is that it was given by the people who should take care exactly of problems like this.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

As you reported as about your excessive cam lean/limb twist i would not try to put too many arrows through your bow at this time.

Here is a plan:
    Remove the tension from your bow. Turn out your limbbolts until you see a tad of light through the whole in the barrel nut. Stop there and try to remove the string from the Cams. this should be no problem as there should be not that lot of tension on the bow any longer.

Now you should have your bow apart. Watch out that the whole thing cannot fall apart when the limbs slip out of the Roto cups so lay it on a soft ground before removing the string and cables. Take a photo before you do so to get it all together after you have done it.

Now remove the axles and check for a bent axle. CHeck also if your cams are straight. With the modern cutouts it can bend a whole cam if a dryfire happens. If anything is straight check for limbtwist. Lay your limb on a flat surface and check if it is twisted. Check if both ends of the limb fork can be twisted against each other. if there is a crack in the limb fork area you will notice it by doing so. I had multiple cracks in that area and they are sometimes hard to see.

Check if your riser is bent. Lay an arrow or anything very straight onto one side of the sight window and check if it is parallel to the rest of the riser. Do this again if you have setup your bow again.

If anything is straight set up your bow again and send it to Martin Archery. No further ideas from me then.
    (2) Hoyt PCEXL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montalaar View Post
    As you reported as about your excessive cam lean/limb twist i would not try to put too many arrows through your bow at this time.

Here is a plan:
    Remove the tension from your bow. Turn out your limbbolts until you see a tad of light through the whole in the barrel nut. Stop there and try to remove the string from the Cams. this should be no problem as there should be not that lot of tension on the bow any longer.

Now you should have your bow apart. Watch out that the whole thing cannot fall apart when the limbs slip out of the Roto cups so lay it on a soft ground before removing the string and cables. Take a photo before you do so to get it all together after you have done it.

Now remove the axles and check for a bent axle. CHeck also if your cams are straight. With the modern cutouts it can bend a whole cam if a dryfire happens. If anything is straight check for limbtwist. Lay your limb on a flat surface and check if it is twisted. Check if both ends of the limb fork can be twisted against each other. if there is a crack in the limb fork area you will notice it by doing so. I had multiple cracks in that area and they are sometimes hard to see.

Check if your riser is bent. Lay an arrow or anything very straight onto one side of the sight window and check if it is parallel to the rest of the riser. Do this again if you have setup your bow again.

If anything is straight set up your bow again and send it to Martin Archery. No further ideas from me then.
    You can try what Simon is saying here if you want to take the time. Personally I'd recommend taking the time just to learn how to do this stuff. And as long as you're playing try swapping thelimbs top to bottom when you put it back together.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Compounded View Post
    As i draw the bow and watch the cam roll over, the limb twists. .
    Could be the axle then.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    The stupid is that it was given by the people who should take care exactly of problems like this.
    Agree. And these ppl are the experts?