Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tuning Thread Ever

Post Thanks / Like

ok when timing my cam i finally got a tape measure on my bow and found my ata was just under 29.5. that was measuring center of the axel to center of the axel. sooooo....... i need to make some adjustments yeah? any really quick tips.....
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

SonnyThomas

Default Best Tuning Thread Ever

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    exactly sonny..... tinkering isnt too hard alot of times
    Egzactly (smile). Tinkering can be good. You can find out how easy something is and tune your bow that little extra. Take the arrow rest; Most can be raised or lowered and remain within the desired Berger hole area. Yes, area. (I don't like to be low of the center of the Berger hole and prefer that the center of the arrow diameter not be above the top of the Berger hole - just me). Why move the rest up or down? Arrow guidance and/or to see if your arrow groups can be tightened. Sure tears down the magical bullet hole.
    Bullet holes? Such much BS, but then can be desired. Once upon a time (got to start the story some way) it was desired to have a slightly high and left tear for righties and high and right for lefties. Why? This was to make the arrow correct itself the same way each and every time. It doesn't take much thinking to understand there is some truth here.
    Ahhh...my much beloved Ole War Horse, my 2000 Hoyt UltraTec. This has the by design built in overdraw shelf. I used 25 3/4" arrows and me with a 29" draw. No matter what my setup gave a nasty right hand tear. Nasty as in over a 2" tear to the right and a bit high. This setup placed and won a bunch of 3Ds and took first in the local indoor hunter class 11 weeks in a row. Sort of wrecks the perfect tuned bow, doesn't it? It does and it doesn't, but I believe this; Bow Tuning Is Secondary. Why? Give someone a perfectly tuned bow and he or she may not shoot their way out of a wet paper bag. Give a good shooter and half way descent tuned bow and they'll kick your behind so hard you'll have to go back to last Wednesday to pick yourself up. That's why I in one of my replies; Use the above tuning thread to help you, not give you headaches.

SonnyThomas

ok when timing my cam i finally got a tape measure on my bow and found my ata was just under 29.5. that was measuring center of the axel to center of the axel. sooooo....... i need to make some adjustments yeah? any really quick tips.....
    Factory given ata specs are approximate. The rule is if the max. listed draw weight is there then ata is within specs. Give or take 1/8" on any spec is generally within limits, however the overall industry for ata standards can have a greater +/- tolerance zone. It is no different than max. draw weight. Normally bows will have the max. listed draw weight or a bit more, up to 2 pounds. Factories know shooters don't want to be shorted on draw weight.

Trying to remember; My 05 Old Glory Bowtech birth certificate had 60.9 pounds of draw weight given. My 06 ProElite is supposed to have a 37 3/4" ata, but has 71 pounds of draw weight though listed at 70 pounds of draw and it's ata is 37 7/8".

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

lol it sure does!!!!!! i would love to spend an afternoon with someone who shoots and tunes alot....... or at least is good at it. hahahha, but yeah thanks sonny!!!!

i tend to get answers about how to shoot that are not very descriptive.... i think i got some of the basics down....
    Last edited by justin; 11-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings

SonnyThomas

lol it sure does!!!!!! i would love to spend an afternoon with someone who shoots and tunes alot....... or at least is good at it. hahahha, but yeah thanks sonny!!!!

i tend to get answers about how to shoot that are not very descriptive.... i think i got some of the basics down....
    Descriptive? Well, everyone is a bit different. If you want, PM me and we give it a shot. Of course, I don't know where you live from me, probably too far. The shop I work at is in Banner, Illinois, 25 miles bit west, south west of Peoria, Illinois.

Post Thanks / Like

lol im in central iowa, so your nor across the country!!! lol looks like your about a 4 hour drive away from me.
    the conpany i work for even has a branch in peoria. lol we only have 5 branches.

anyway, retarded my cam a bit the other night and tonight got the chrono out and shot. with my limbs bottomed i was shooting 296fps with a 396 grain 400 spline aarow and 293 with a 410 grain 300 spline aarow. backed my limb bolts out one turn each and got 285ish and backed them out another turn for 274 fps with the 410 grain aarow. thats roughly 64# draw at 30 inches.

now that ive recovered from my prefall flu/cold, ive found that the maxed DW of my bow is no problem at all again, and am thinking of turning it back up but....... no one else seems to be getting the speeds im getting out of the accutrack cam. im not running limbsaves or string silencers of any kind though. im gunna go put some in quick and see what it does to my fps. maybe some limbsavers tomarrow.

retarding my cam did get most of the "martin sound" out of my bow though.
    my question.... do you guys think im pulling more than 70 lbs dw? doesnt feel any more than my freinds tr2 at 67lbs.... and its a good 20 fps faster than the tr2

anyway, yeah...

EDIT:tr2 is only 28 draw length though...
    Last edited by justin; 11-10-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Your bubby's TR2 is not right. Your Cheetah at 30" 70# and his TR2 at 28" 67# should be shooting identical speeds or very close with the same weight arrow. If he is 20fps off its out of spec and out of tune.
    2010 Alien X
    29"/70#
    353gr GT Velocity XT 400 @ 320fps
    370gr GT Velocity Hunter 300 @ 315fps
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release
    NAP Apache Rest
    Black Gold AMP 3 pin sight
    Limbsaver stabilizer
    G5 Montec

Post Thanks / Like

he did say his cams werent timed quite right. he just got new cables and maybe modules. he has green cables and a yellow string. lol ill ask if he ended up geting it tuned. he wont know how fast it is though because i repoed my chrono but like i said, not many peoples cheetas are as fast as mine. i just put silences back on it though so it might have slowed down a bunch

SonnyThomas

[QUOTE=justin;34134] with my limbs bottomed i was shooting 296fps with a 396 grain 400 spline aarow and 293 with a 410 grain 300 spline aarow. backed my limb bolts out one turn each and got 285ish and backed them out another turn for 274 fps with the 410 grain aarow. thats roughly 64# draw at 30 inches.

limbsaves///silencers/// see what it does to my fps.

retarding my cam did get most of the "martin sound" out of my bow though.
    my question.... do you guys think im pulling more than 70 lbs dw? doesnt feel any more than my freinds tr2 at 67lbs.... and its a good 20 fps faster than the tr2
    QUOTE]

If I figured correctly, with limbs bottomed out, you're real close to factory listed fps. Two turns out, I don't believe lowers draw weight 7 pounds. I may be wrong though. It's just when I figured the fps, arrow weight and poundage the fps was a bit high, about 14 fps too high.

Limb Savers won't effect speed. String silencers properly placed may or may not effect speed, but look for 2 to 7 fps.

No info on your bud's arrows I really can't say.

Post Thanks / Like

my silencers are about 1.5 inches from the cam/idler wheel, and holy crap did it quiet the bow down. sounds like.....well super quiet. will limbsavers make it quieter yet? and right now i have an x coil (i think its a limbsaver unit) stabilizer but the bow feels a bit tail heavy on the release. im thinking a longer heavier stabilizer might even it out a bit. not having any accuracy issues though. ~shrugs~