Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you have your sight set up?

BackwoodsGolfPro

Cool How do you have your sight set up?

I don't have the best sight in the world, it was a stock sight with three pins. I have them set at 15 25 and 35. what is the closest and the furthest yardages you have your pins set at and do you have any remcomentdations on pin placement or a new sight lol?

Thanks!!!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On most of my sights and my kids, we sight in at 20yds, 30yds and 40yds.
    Then all you have to do when shooting is split the difference in between the pins for 25 and 35yards. Giving you 20,25,30 35,40. Any thing under 20yards is only inches in difference. Just aim an inch lower for under 20yards.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also you asked about a new sight. Too many to list. Prices very a lot. I would look in the price range you can afford. At good companies like HHA, Tru glo, Spot hog, and so many more.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

20-30-40-50-60 . Anything that I know is inside of 10 yards I use my 40 yard pin and it is on . I'm using a Montana Black Gold Flashpoint . Add a extra pin to get the 60 . Pin size is another thing you might want to consider. I've been told/read that a .029 pin will cover a 6" area at 40 yards. With that in mind I'm looking at a new sight with pins that get smaller.
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

J758

Depends on what you wanna do. I hunt with just one pin 30 and in. Also have a 40 yard pin. But when I go to woods I slide it down. I have my sight marked back to 40. Just use the 40 yard for field hunts. lots out there to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Copper John GraveDancer sight. Set the pins at 20,30,40,50,60. .019 pins, very bright, and a good solid sight. No noise, easy set up. Only problem is, they set the sight bubble level towards the front, so you can get a bit of glare coming off it. I remedied this by taking a piece of matte finish Scotch tape, and placing it over the bubble level. You can see through the tape, but it cuts the glare. Good sight, cheap price. Bought mine at Sportsmans Guide online. Found out a couple days ago, this is the sight Martin is going to be using in their new package bows. HUGE improvement over the old cheap 3 pin they have used in the past.

SonnyThomas

Default How do you have your sight set up?

I used a 3 pin setup for a couple of years when shooting 3D. My rig then nailed 270 fps. I had the pins set for 25, 35, and 45 yards and then gap shot for the in between distances and I did exceptional well.

If shooting in sanctioned events, like the ASA, Bow Novice or Hunter have maximum distances. So I'd set them for best results.

Then, we have a couple clubs that set up targets for what they say are bow hunting distances, no more than 25 yards. This sucks....

Today, my hunting rig has but one fixed pin, 029" diameter. Knowing the flight of my arrow I'm good for deer shots out to 40 yards. I have the pin to hit 1" above my pin at 25 yards. So I aim; 4" low for 15 yds, 2" low for 20, dead on for 25 and 30, top of the pin level on the deer's back for 35 and bottom of the pin on the deer's back for 40. I can gap the pin and hit to 45.
    Practice is a real word. I have a 3D deer just for this.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently using a Tru-Glo Extreme 5-pin sight, set at 20-30-40-50-60yds.
    Fairly inexpensive and is holding up really well......bright enough that on sunny open 3D shoots, I'll put electrical tape on the guard to cover fiber optics and dim them a bit for less glare.

Knowing my pin gap, I'm able to rough guess the distance of an "average" deer or elk by number of pins covering chest. Before I had a rangefinder I used to keep a cheat sheet taped to inside of upper limb

I have a low end Tru-Glo on my old Firecat and do not like the cheap fiber wrap pins at all......to me there are not much better than the old painted tip steel pins I used back in the 70's.

A lot of good sights out there. If my current sight gets damaged or I decided to put it on my old bow, I'll upgrade a bit to one of the better Tru-Glo w/0.019" sights or maybe a Spot-Hog??
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine set at 20, 35, 50, 65 and 80.

If you are shooting over 250 FPS, you don't need no stinkin 15 yard pin!

You can use the same pin from 10 to 20 yards.

Shorter than that, you will actually need to use your longer range pins. For instance, at 5 yards, your 40 yard pin should hit the center of the bull, but your 20, will hit about 3" low.

Post Thanks / Like

my 5 pin is set 20 -60 my HHA is 20 - 80+
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/