Thread: ?????about draw length measurement

BigBull3

Default ?????about draw length measurement

How do you measure to see if the draw length is right? I don't want to get stuck with another "short bow".

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean how do you determine the current draw length of your bow, or how to determine what your actual draw length is so you get a bow?

BigBull3

Default ??????about draw length

My current bow is 31, I feel cramped a little when I draw back. I want to know how to accurately measure to see if it is correct. I do use a mechanical release and it is set off with the very tip of my finger, not the most comfortable since it is so far out on my wrist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull3
    My current bow is 31, I feel cramped a little when I draw back. I want to know how to accurately measure to see if it is correct. I do use a mechanical release and it is set off with the very tip of my finger, not the most comfortable since it is so far out on my wrist.
    Number one, you should not be shooting a release with the tip of your finger. The trigger should be located no farther forward than the first joint of the index finger.

Now, as for draw length. To measure a close approximate of what you should be drawing measure your wingspan. Stand with your back against a wall (I like to use one corner). Spred your arms out as far as you can without straining and measure finger tip to finger tip. Divide this measurement by 2.5. This will give you an indication of about the draw length your bow should be. This will be an AMO measurement. Tweaking it a little will come later. But for general purposes for you to have a 31" draw you should have about a 77" wingspan.

To measure the bow's draw length you draw the bow and measure from the nocking point on the string to the deepest part of the grip. This will be "true draw". To get AMO you add 1 3/4" to this. If you get your bow set correctly this will be about the same as the measurement you got doing the wingspan method. If this is close then looking in a mirror or having a buddy help you, when you are at full draw then the arrow's nock will be directly below your eye. It might be down at your chin, depending on where you anchor, but it will be vertically straight down from your eye.

Now comes the tricky part. Do you use a string loop? If so then you might want to shorten the draw length of the bow by about 1/2" to get the right "feel". Also using the mirror or a buddy, while standing at full draw you look at your target and draw the bow. You should not have to ove your head at all. You don't lean back nor do you tilt your head into the string. You draw the bow to "YOU". Looking at your drawing arm from behind or above it should form a straight line right through the arrow. Looking from the side it should be approximately parallel with the arrow. You can adjust this a couple ways. One is with the length of the string loop. The other is with the length of the release. Or you can use a combination of the two.

Hope this helps. I think there's a pretty good explaination of this on www.huntersfriend.com