Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone tried the Mantis Capture rest?

SonnyThomas

Default Anyone tried the Mantis Capture rest?

Hutch~n~Son Archery is pretty much correct. Most rests are a personal preference...Well, after you've had a few. I've owned 11 different drop rests and more than that of shoot through prong style rests and tried every version of the whisker biscuit. All worked well when properly set and following instructions. A couple should have never been released on the market. There's been a few discontinued that deserve a second chance. As much as I like NAP I can not suggest the Freedom rest brought out a couple of years back (I own one). Once you come to full draw you can not let up, creep the least bit or the safety will engage. The Trap Door was discontinued and I found it to my liking. No draw cord, you have to manually raise the rest. It also has a sensitivity adjustment for dropping the launch arm. I own one and have used it on bows with draw weight of some 30 pounds up to 70 pounds and it has performed flawlessly.

Okay, I usually tell it the way it is or through my experience. So telling it like it is probably part of why I'm not sponsored.

The Mantis probably wouldn't be on the market if it didn't work.

Pros and Cons do exist for just about any arrow rest. I have 3 drop aways in use at the present, the Limb Driver, Doodle Drop and the Apache. All work great, but...

I found the Limb Driver very nice for bows with harsh let offs, dropping off into the valley and hitting the wall. Here the Limb Driver raises immediately upon drawing and eliminates arrow bounce. It's draw back is the long draw cord. I'm forever hitting or catching it on something. Tightening the screw on the cord has to be watched. Too much and you can cut or weaken the cord.

The Doodle Drop came on a bow I bought and just plain liked it. It though seems cheap in the drop department. A lead weight drops the cradle. I would have thought a spring would be better (and Bodoodle has this on other rests). This rest has less tension on the draw cord than draw cord rest I know of.

The new NAP Apache seems to be one fine rest, a bit heavy compared to some, but then I don't care for the full capture cage and it will come off. I am not particularly fond of the tightening feature - The no tool to set feature. I have to tighten mine with brute force and then to loose I really have to strain or just use another allen to stick in the hole to break it loose.

The Qad you mentioned. A nice drop rest. Instructions say to manually raise the rest before drawing. I think the manual raise thing is more to give the full capture effect immediately as you can draw the bow and the rest will raise. The Qad has 5 variations, plain jane to all the bells and whistles and the 5th being camo...for another $15 or so. I kind wonder about the dollar spread, $50 up to $140.

Okay, my two cents.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 11-23-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    The new NAP Apache seems to be one fine rest, a bit heavy compared to some, but then I don't care for the full capture cage and it will come off. I am not particularly fond of the tightening feature - The no tool to set feature. I have to tighten mine with brute force and then to loose I really have to strain or just use another allen to stick in the hole to break it loose.
    when i got my apache, the capture cage was a big selling point. i also have no problems at all it the tooless adjustments...... but i use my hands alot, and have some pretty brutal hand strenght.(im a mechanic ) i know my father wouldnt like the knobs much, and using a hex key screw would lighten the weight up. but for my aplication the apache seems to be nothing but ideal.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing is sure Stéphane, Once you find out if you like that rest. You should have an extra rest it is always great to have a spare. Just in case of a failure with a rest. I recently had a noise in my bow and could not figure it out. My son suggested to put on my spare rest. And sure enough it was my rest making the noise. While I was fixing it I could still shoot using my spare.
    HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

SonnyThomas

[QUOTE=SonnyThomas;34495]The new NAP Apache seems to be one fine rest, a bit heavy compared to some, but then I don't care for the full capture cage and it will come off.QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    when i got my apache, the capture cage was a big selling point. i also have no problems at all it the tooless adjustments...... but i use my hands alot, and have some pretty brutal hand strenght.(im a mechanic ) i know my father wouldnt like the knobs much, and using a hex key screw would lighten the weight up. but for my aplication the apache seems to be nothing but ideal.
    I meant I will remove the capture cage. I like the rest.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 11-23-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i got that about you removing the capture bit. im still young and do more tromping around through the brush and corn than most. if i was shooting targets or 3d only the cage would probably just be "extra crap" that really isnt needed. got my bow "almost" paper tuned tonight... not quite a bullet hole. its appearing that my alien is having a bias for low tears, possibly caused by cam timing, or maybe knock pinching. it is going to take a bit more investigating though, as my rest is over 1/4 of an inch below my knocking point. but then again maybe its just how this bow is going to shoot.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings

SonnyThomas

Well, I still a good deal of tromping, but I've got use to what I use and have little need for a full capture rest. ???

For prong style rests I remove the prong block or entire rest and set the prongs to best advantage. Off, you can turn and inspect the location of the prongs. I prefer mid point between vanes, but have set them so the arrow sets a bit lower. Depending on the style or type of prongs a tad more capture is achieved.

For that 1/4" nock high, I'd tweak the timing a bit. I like the arrow driven as straight forward as possible. Besides, playing with equipment gains knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

lol sonny!!! im clumsy ok? hehehehe lol i didnt want to say it

if my cam timing "looks" ok, do you think i can get away with backing my bottom limb bolt a tad? 1/2turn-ish maybe? i would get my "low kick" on my aarow by basically getting more pull from the lower limb. so i would want to retard the lower cam a tad(if it looks advanced) by untwisting the cable that tracks in the lower module a couple times, and see what happens?