Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tuning for dummys.......

Post Thanks / Like

Works very well with carbons too. It'll pick up the inserts and field points easily. I've found arrows that got lost in the yard years ago, and been buried under more dirt and grass than I could imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

im heading over to my buddys now who has the metal detector now to check out his sons deer. pic looks like a big 7 point! ill see if i can barrow his detector/ i will probably paper tune while there. he has a good setup for paper tuning. and after that i might refine with a french tune, or i might leave it
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

RobD

My friend Jason just got his 2010 Alien X today. He calls me up to ask me to tune his bow because he spend 3 hours trying to set center shot and paper tune it.He said he keeps getting a high left tear on paper.

Set bow in draw board set cams Timing

Creep Tuned it for fine tune cam timing.

I take his bow Eye ball his center shot.

Go back to 20 yds set sight pin.

Take and put deer country fix broadheads on 3 of his arrows. And leave leave 3 field points on 3 arrows. I used the deer counrty BH because I BH tuned my bow with them and they hit exact the same spot as FP up to 40 yds. So I knew the were a good BH to tune with.

Shot 3 Bh and 3 FP From 20 yds

Made 4 adjustments to the rest

Shot the 3 and 3 again at 20 yds. They hit perfect.

Then set 20 yd pin Again. Step back to 30 yds set 30 yd pin.

Shot 3 BH 3 FP Moved rest very very little.

Shot 3 BH and 3 FP again at 30 yds

Handed him the Bow and told him it was tuned.Told him he might have to move his sight but maybe not. He says you didn't even paper tune it. How do you know that its going to hit bullets holes threw paper.
    I said It most likely will but if it doesn't it doesn't matter. But your BH and FP are hitting same place at 20 and 30 yds. What more can you want.

So I set up the paper. Set him 6 Ft from it. He shoots, left tear. Shoots again left tear. And again left tear. Looks at me and says why is it still getting a left tear, I said not sure, Let me see the bow. I step back 6 ft shoot perfect bullet hole first shot. I told him that most likely he is torquing the bow.

I had to go pick my daughter up so I had to quit there.

Just figured I'd post how I tuned his Alien X.

Have to say That bow is a shooter. I Really like it.
    Last edited by RobD; 11-24-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added Text

Post Thanks / Like

my cam timing is a lil off i had it shooting near perfect bullet holes.... with a horrible looking rest...lol i need to spend a little more time but its cold out lol
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    i need to spend a little more time but its cold out lol
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about. How does 25 degrees sound? I can't sit in the tree stand for too long at that temperature.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

sounds alot like iowa lol. im done in the feild, for now i guess, still might do late muzzle. i need so scope out some better spots in town. there are 46 more doe tags to fill......

Post Thanks / Like

so i got my alien all dialed in now.... its amazing how just a little tweaking with your peep and kisser can make all the diffenance in the world. im back to the rock solid hold i had on my cheetah! woot. lol all of that for 5 fps and 1 inch ata

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it takes a few minutes or hours but it is worth the trouble to dial in the bow and hit where you are aiming.
    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    so i got my alien all dialed in now.... its amazing how just a little tweaking with your peep and kisser can make all the diffenance in the world. im back to the rock solid hold i had on my cheetah! woot. lol all of that for 5 fps and 1 inch ata
    The little things count, especially in compound bows. One little thing wrong can cause major accuracy problems.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

ok at the insistance that im retarded for overdrawing a lil, i shortened my draw length down to around 27.5. droped my pull poundage to around 60, and started shooting a lighter splined aarow. changed my focus a little from sights only to grip or hold, and bowhand alignment. making sure im keeping my elbow up, and inline, and finally after all of that comes together, back to sights. i cant hold quite as steady like this but my consistancy is up, and after tuning im shooting through my berger holes and my aarow string and sightpins are all in the same plane. all of my bows shock is gone, the left torque on the aftershot is gone. and im working on my release as well. trying to keep it clean with no jerk or punch. just slowly squeezing my release, and holding and the shot just happens, sometimes not at the right time, but mostly the right time. consistancy with practice right? so hopefully im on the right road to tearing up the 10 ring. im really hoping to do a bunch of 3d this spring, and be good. i know your not suposed to just be good your first year but i want to get the jump on everyone via alot of off season practice.

thanks sonny, huch, barry, and everyone else! please keep the tips coming and ill do my best to listen!!

EDIT: ive decided that my alien must be a 2009 as it has barnsdale limbs, as described by the white lines on the side and 3 digit deflection numbers.
    Last edited by justin; 12-26-2010 at 07:58 AM.