Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tuning for dummys.......

SonnyThomas

Default tuning for dummys.......

Were you looking for pics on gripping the bow? See Don't Grip.

Post Thanks / Like

Justin,

Your Alien could be a 2010. Look at the first two numbers of the serial number for a clue. I say this because my "Z" wasn't built till May of 2010 and it has Barnesdale limbs. It was just about this time or just shortly after this that Martin started using their own limbs.

I'm not positive about this, but I think the Barnesdale limbs were just being used while Martin was developing their new limbs, which apparently became a reality in mid-year.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

as far as the gripping bit goes its one thing to have someone tell you how to grip the bow and another to actually apply the knowlage to shooting. ive eased into a hand position that distributes the load evenly where my hand contacts the bow. my knuckles are angled like your pictures. i can only asume that im getting it pretty close. i took my target outside today after pistol hunting..... and did some warm up shooting. 20 and 30 and 40. i had every intention of setting my pins but ended up doing some spot shooting, then group shooting. my last 5 aarows were easily in a 3 inch group, the best 3 easily contained by 1.25 inches.... at that point i decided group shooting at 40 yards was going to be hard on aarows. i packed it up as i was freezing cold at this point. im not for sure how the tune is at this point either. might be good might not be. french tuned it with 10 yards as my group tune distance. also love my peep sight ring ratio, as they match up perfectly..... dont know my se#'s date code nor have i pondered it. ill see what i find out. thanks again guys.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Serial # should be on the bottom limb sticker.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Like Barry stated above - my '10 AZ was built in August and has Barnsdales.

Post Thanks / Like

ok yeah its a 2010.....
    ummm what else? i did some shooting tonight and tried too keep shots from 5 to 7 seconds and holy crap did i feel rushed. things are just barly getting settled down. find my target check lvl, check pin, check peep, holdfire. can i wait 5 seconds after everything gets mellow? accuracy wasnt fantastic, but maybe passible. although i think times would be better in good light as the basement provides poor peep to ring alingnment, although it is doable. i was thinking of blaming that in part for some good groups the otherday outside..... any input?
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings

SonnyThomas

Well, offhand, can you back off the draw weight by 3 to 5 pounds? Like all training you begin with easy and build upon it. The key is being relaxed. So bow fit is quite imperative. Terry Wunderle, one of the world's great coaches has things listed; Draw length (too long and trouble), draw weight (too heavy and trouble),grip (proper and seated consistently), peep (comfortable, never moving the head to see through), and mass bow weight (bow should roll forward as the arrow is released). I can't find a link to the article, but can elaborate further if wanted.
    Last edited by SonnyThomas; 12-28-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i will drop the draw weight and see what happens. ill keep you posted.... on a side note, im not properly warming up before ive been shooting. is that a no-no as well? 60 seems tough if im exausted, but its light as a feather if im all warmed up. normally takes around 30 aarows or so to get rolling.

SonnyThomas

Basic loosing up exercises is normal done, like getting the kinks out. Twisting the torso a few times, lean from the hip, rolling the head around (mine creaks something awful) and carried the most is surgical tubing to stretch with the arms, stretch from the front and then behind the head. It doesn't take much and with a light draw weight bow just shooting a few relaxing shots works - like blank baling, no pressure on the mind except the use of good form and shot sequence. A few shots meaning maybe 5 to 8 and then relax a bit before going into the practice routine.

John Dudley may have this. I read one of his articles some time back.
    www.dudleyarchery.info

Post Thanks / Like

Relax.
    Shoot.
    Have Fun.
    Repeat.